[News] SFLC Combats Proprietary 'Thieves', Wikipedia Gets Big Investments

  • Subject: [News] SFLC Combats Proprietary 'Thieves', Wikipedia Gets Big Investments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:09:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Software Freedom Law Center Releases Paper on Shareware Redistribution of Free
Software

,----[ Quote ]
| The paper describes actions free software developers can take to prevent,
| discover and deal with shareware-related license infringement. It was written
| after several free software authors contacted SFLC with concerns about their
| software being incorporated into shareware products without attribution and
| without source code distribution.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/mar/27/shareware/

Wikimedia Foundation gets $500,000 donation

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a good week for the coffers of the Wikimedia Foundation.
|
| On Tuesday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation announced it was giving $3 million
| over three years to the organization that runs Wikipedia.
|
| And on Thursday, top-dog venture capitalist Vinod Khosla and his wife, Neeru,
| said they were going to donate $500,000 to the foundation.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-9904771-52.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

Sloan Foundation gives Wikimedia Foundation $3 million

,----[ Quote ]
| Talk about hot foundation-on-foundation action.
|
| On Tuesday, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation announced it was giving the
| Wikimedia Foundation--which runs Wikipedia--$3 million.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-9903050-52.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Biggest legal victory ever for GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| For decades, almost no one challenged the General Public License in legal
| matters. In fact, no one has even dared to try to break it in court. That
| record remains unsullied as the biggest company to date--Verizon--that had
| been accused of a GPL violation opted to settle out of court.

BusyBox Developers Agree To End GPL Lawsuit Against Verizon

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) today announced that agreements have
| been reached to dismiss the GPL enforcement lawsuit filed by SFLC against
| Verizon Communications Inc. on behalf of two principal developers of BusyBox.
| Verizon distributes BusyBox to its FiOS customers in devices that are
| provided to Verizon by Actiontec Electronics, Inc.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2008/mar/17/busybox-verizon/

Verizon Settles GPL Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| The settlement calls for Actiontec to appoint an Open Source Compliance
| Officer as well as ensuring that Actiontec properly makes available the
| BusyBox source code that it uses.  Additionally Actiontec will pay BusyBox
| an 'undisclosed' financial sum.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/verizon-settles-gpl-lawsuit.html

Related:

We’re not thieves. We just can’t read contracts (McAfee and Open Source)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/insights/2008/01/11/we%E2%80%99re-not-thieves-we-just-can%E2%80%99t-read-contracts-mcafee-and-open-source/
http://tinyurl.com/39pjml