[News] [Rival] Microsoft Screws Up the OOXML Vote in Germany, Should Vote Again

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Screws Up the OOXML Vote in Germany, Should Vote Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:38:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In Close Vote, Germany Stays in the OOXML "Yes" Column as More Reports Dribble
in

,----[ Quote ]
| 8 votes were in favour of "YES", 6 were in favour of "ABSTAIN", some pointing
| out that they would have preferred to vote an outright "NO". 4 voted "abstain
| to the DIN vote", i.e. on the vote between "YES" and "ABSTAIN" to ISO. 2 of
| the 4 had initially voted for a German "ABSTAIN", but under pressure changed
| within 48 hours their vote from a German "ABSTAIN" to "abstain to the DIN
| vote"; one of the 4 was compelled by instruction to vote "abstain to the DIN
| vote", even though he wanted to vote at least "ABSTAIN". That means: without
| very strong pressure from Microsoft Germany would have voted "ABSTAIN", with
| 9 to 8.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080327181802109

Updegrove: Germany Told "Impossible" to Vote No. So, They Vote Yes - Update:
Finland Yes

,----[ Quote ]
| Andy Updegrove is reporting now that Germany is another odd case. He says a
| friend is telling him that DIN told the committee there they couldn't vote
| no, only yes or abstain. So the bottom line is it will not change its
| September Yes vote. I know. Weird. They certainly can vote no, according to
| my reading of the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 website. Maybe they should vote again?

Shades of the new story from Poland (see below) and the older one from
Switzerland. Corporate zombies and corruption.

Yesterday:

Polish chairwoman distributes Microsoft propaganda

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chairwoman of the polish Technical Committee has distributed
| documentation about the BRM authored by Microsoft. She has also changed the
| voting rules for the email ballot to "If you don't vote, it is counted as a
| YES", and she has threatened to sue committee members if they spread
| accusations. What a nice broken chairwoman they have in Poland.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49455/polish-chairwoman-distributes-microsoft-propaganda

Related:

Swiss Cheese [for OOXML]