[News] GNU/Linux Power at Caterpillar, Amazon

Teradata to Implement Enterprise Data Warehouse at Caterpillar

,----[ Quote ]
| Caterpillar purchased Teradata's market-leading analytical software running
| on a LINUX-based three-node 5500H server, plus an additional hot standby node
| and six terabytes of storage capacity.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/technology/article/teradata-implement-enterprise-data-warehouse-caterpillar_536439_12.html

Amazon's cloud now less prone to failure

,----[ Quote ]
| Digging deeper into EC2, developers will also find that Amazon has added more
| flexibility around the creation of AMIs (Amazon Machine Images), which are
| the actual software packages running on the service.
|
| We're told that customers can "select the kernel and RAM disk to bundle with
| your AMI or to specify a kernel and RAM disk at launch time."
|
| Some new AMIs include:
|
|     * Fedora Core 6 - 32 bit - a stock FC6 release with matching kernel and
|     RAM disk
|     * Fedora 8 - 32 bit - a stock F8 release with matching kernel and RAM
|     disk
|     * Fedora 8 - 64 bit - a stock F8 release with matching kernel and RAM
|     disk
|     * 2.6.18 Kernel - 32 bit - a stock 2.6.18 kernel (can be used with 32 bit
|     AMIs)
|     * 2.6.18 Kernel - 64 bit - a stock 2.6.18 kernel (can be used with 64 bit
|     AMIs)
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/27/amazon_flexible_ec2/

Fedora is everywhere, even at NASA (see below). It's their competitive
secret 'weapon', so they hardly talk about it. Not bad for what Munchkins
call "slopware".

Related:

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.
`----

http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html

Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;563338166;pp;1