Re: [Roy Schestowitz Lies Again] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation (was: [News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation)

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 27 March 2008 21:28 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
> <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:40:07 -0400
> <pqbfsr1z8n7u$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:23:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> No, Roy.  Free Software is *NOT* dominant in Virtualization.  VMWare is the
>> #1 virtualization product, by about 80%.
>>
>> Why do you keep lying like this?
>>
>> VMWare controls the market.  It dominates it.  All other players, including
>> Microsoft, are Niche players.
>
> Just out of curiosity: which OS is usually running VMWare?

VMware: Linux Is Ideal OS for Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is a key part of the success mix for virtualization. That was the
| message of Mendel Rosenblum, chief scientist and cofounder of VMware.
|
| [...]
|
| "We secretly used them [Linux users] as our beta testers," Rosenblum
| said. "The Linux community helped us to build things up."
|
| [...]
|
| "Linux is the perfect fit for virtualization it is a highly customizable
| operating system," Rosenblum said. "I see this as the place where Linux can
| dominate and licensing is also more favorable."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3693656

Guess what VMWare's software is built on/from?

The VMware house of cards

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking at an ESX server, you’ll find what looks like a Linux OS. This isn’t
| a secret -- VMware call this the ‘console OS’.
`----

http://www.venturecake.com/the-vmware-house-of-cards/

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."
                --John Warden, lead attorney Microsoft