[News] Microsoft Afraid to Name Software Patents? Germany Talks About System Differences

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Afraid to Name Software Patents? Germany Talks About System Differences
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:20:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Mum on Alleged Patents Violated

,----[ Quote ]
| So basically, it comes down to what Microsoft is willing to publicly admit
| their reasoning of the alleged patent violations is ‘because we said so!’
| They will not provide any other evidence (actual patents) because ‘(it) is
| not something that any other company in our industry does today’.
`----

http://ffextensionguru.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/microsoft-mum-on-alleged-patents-violated/

Almost everywhere, software patents are not legal anyway, so let Microsoft sing
to self.

Quo Vadis, Patent Laws?

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent law became an issue that is debated not only within small circles, but
| among a broad public. Not only, that software patents could stir one of the
| biggest participation waves in policy decisions on the European level - it is
| probably the first time that plans for patent reforms are debated during
| American presidential primary campaigns. We asked James Babineau, an American
| patent lawyer with Fish & Richardson, that opened an office in Munich a few
| months ago, on the future of the patent systems on both continents.
`----

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/27/27577/1.html

Related:

Novell congratulates itself for snogging Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell wants you to know that selling its soul to Steve Ballmer was a really
| good idea.
|
| On the last day of 2007, two separate Novell execs tossed up blog posts
| congratulating themselves for agreeing to that "interoperability partnership"
| with Microsoft, a year-old deal intent on forcing an unholy relationship
| between Linux and Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/03/linux_pats_self_on_back/

Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
| announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
| interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
|
| [...]
|
| I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
| as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
| to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
| to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
| market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9813681-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]