[News] GNU/Linux for the Classrooms

Installing My First Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| If my trial is successful and the students take well to this new OS and to
| the open source software we can run on it our school district stands to save
| thousands of dollars.
|
| [...]
|
| If we can put 5-10 computers in each classroom it would drastically change
| the way our teachers teach and our students learn. SMARTboards and high
| performance teacher laptops are great but they lack the engagement that hands
| on computing can offer. Placing the tools where we want them to be used is a
| huge step in becoming a school that teaches 21st century skills well. I hear
| almost daily from teachers, "I would use this if I knew I could get my
| students in the lab." Why don't we put the lab in their classroom. The other
| positive aspect of a 3 or 4 to 1 program would be that it would force
| teachers to be creative with their instruction. It promotes collaboration and
| differentiated instruction.
`----

http://carlanderson.blogspot.com/2008/03/installing-my-first-linux-os.html

Educational Linux Software For Children

,----[ Quote ]
| It is my belief that educational software applications on Linux are an
| important factor for growth on the Linux desktop. While there have always
| been educational games for Linux, both on the desktop and on the command
| line, there is always room for improvement.
`----

http://www.foogazi.com/2008/03/25/educational-linux-software-for-children/

Recent:

Introducing my Vietnamese Students to Gimp

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, six days away from Tet, the Vietnamese New Year. This is the last week
| of class at the American International School, where I teach computer
| science, before the week and a half long holiday (well for me at least). The
| 3rd Quarter also started this week so I decided, as part of my web
| development curriculum, to introduce my students to the Gimp. The class went
| very well.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/?p=546

Armada hands over 10,000 free school software distributives through internet

,----[ Quote ]
| ‘According to the government contract we should provide no less than 50% of
| urban and 20% of rural schools with free software up to the end of 2008 in
| three Russian regions: the republic of Tatarstan, Perm and Tomsk Regions, -
| says Igor Gorbatov, deputy director general of Armada.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/line/indexEn.shtml?2008/03/14/292072

Down with Windows! Russian schools turn to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| A free online alternative to the Windows operating system is set to be
| introduced in schools in three Russian regions by 2009. If the pilot project
| proves successful, all schools across the country will make the switch a year
| later.
`----

http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/22094

Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/12/open-source-market-foss-getting-hot-in-russia/