[News] Preview of Ubuntu 8.04, Review of Vector Linux 5.9

  • Subject: [News] Preview of Ubuntu 8.04, Review of Vector Linux 5.9
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:14:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Preview: Ubuntu 8.04 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, this release packs some interesting new features and frameworks,
| some of which should have been part of any Linux distribution three years
| ago. It is quite clearly a beta though, and definitely not ready yet to be
| labeled as a 'long term support' release. Let's hope they take their time to
| polish the rough edges, and deliver a stable release. It is needed.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19524

Taking A Good Long Look At Vector Linux 5.9 Standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past 14 months I’ve reviewed two previous releases of Vector Linux:
| Vector Linux 5.8 Standard and Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO. Anyone who has run those
| versions of Vector Linux would find the new version quite familiar. In
| reality the changes between 5.8 and 5.9, which was released in December, are
| like day and night. For starters up until now Vector Linux was a 32-bit
| distro. A 64-bit version of Vector Linux 5.9 Standard is currently in beta
| and looks very promising. However, since it is still beta code I’m
| restricting my review to the 32-bit version.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/03/taking_a_good_long_look_at_vec.html

This new gallery reveals a pretty operating system:

PCLinuxOS 2008 Gnome Screenshots

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=PCLinuxOS%202008%20Gnome

Related:

Vector Linux 5.9: Light, fast Slackware-based distro

,----[ Quote ]
| I like Vector Linux a lot, mainly for its speed and its ease of set-up and
| use. (It's also been interesting for this die-hard KDE fan to get to know
| Xfce.) Congratulations to the VL team for a job well done.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/24148

Vector Linux 5.9 Standard Gold Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Vector Linux is a really great distribution, and with this release the rough
| edges have been removed. Its stable, fast, looks good and has an OOBE that is
| second to none in the arena. It is highly recommended for both newbies and
| experts alike.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2008/02/vector-linux-59-standard-gold-review.html

How Vector Linux 5.9 breathed new life into a tired old laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| It was the first laptop I ever bought and cost me as much as a small,
| secondhand car but there's always been something special about my old Dell
| 8000 Inspiron.  It's certainly not the specs, at least by today's standards -
| an Asus Eee would knock it into a cocked Fedora.  It runs on a 900Mhz mobile
| Pentium IIIl processor, has 512MB of RAM, an Nvidia mobile 2GO videocard, a
| 10GB hard disk and a CDROM drive and, er, that's about it. No ethernet, no
| Wi-Fi, no Bluetooth.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=365

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO or lightspeed Kde

,----[ Quot ]
| This is our first encounter with VectorLinux and before we tried it the idea
| of reviewing Kde distributions was associated to powerful machines but, after
| analyzing the requirements for this distribution, we decided to try it with
| the minimum and we must say that we are surprised to see that Kde is able to
| travel at lightspeed.
`----

http://en.revilinux.org/2007/08/vector-linux-58-soho-or-kde-at-light.html

VectorLinux 5.9 - Will It Be Pandemic?

,----[ Quote ]
| With seven stable releases  of VectorLinux Standard Gold edition  under their
| belts, the developers  of VectorLinux  have released the  much-awaited
| VectorLinux 5.9 Standard Gold edition on the 21st of December 2007 to the joy
| of many Vectorians.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall, VectorLinux 5.9 Standard Gold is a very functional release. It looks
| a lot better than the previous version. I did not encounter any major
| glitches during the testing. It was a delightful experience seeing the faster
| boot time of VectorLinux 5.9, as compared to  VectorLinux 5.8. The softwares
| seem snappier and more stable than the ones in version 5.8 too!
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/224/1/

VectorLinux-5.9 standard final GOLD is under the tree!

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux development team is proud to announce the release of
| VectorLinux 5.9 final GOLD edition.
`----

http://vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=40

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Those looking for a fast and powerful Slackware-based distribution, be sure
| to check out this latest 5.8 SOHO installment of Vector Linux.
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/07/27/vector-linux-58-soho-a-review/

VectorLinux 5.8 live CD GOLD final and SOHO-5.8 live alpha1

,----[ Quote ]
| The VectorLinux team is proud to announce the release of VectorLinux
| 5.8 GOLD LIVE CD and the first SOHO-5.8 alpha live CD and DVD.
`----

http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=7&PHPSESSID=d76db43919cbee386994227fd824bef6
http://tinyurl.com/37or32

VectorLinux SOHO: A better Slackware than Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/05/16/1816255.shtml?tid=127