[News] KDE Upgrade Claimed Better Marketed Than Vista

Interview: Aaron Seigo, KDE Project Lead

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people think Microsoft hasn't been able to communicate the advantages of
| Windows Vista to effectively to XP users. Given how good KDE3.5 is, have you
| managed to avoid this trap with KDE4?
|
| I think we did a much better job than Microsoft did with Vista and people are
| very aware of the promise of our "pillars of KDE4" such as Phonon, Solid,
| Decibel, etc. as well as the exciting applications like Marble, Amarok,
| Plasma, etc.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/interview-aaron-seigo-kde-project-lead.html

Watch what Microsoft might be doing now:

Is Microsoft Playing Games With XP SP3?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a question that is burning up the blogosphere with some speculating that
| Microsoft has delayed XP SP3, a long awaited release that could boost the
| performance of XP, to get more users to adopt Vista, a potential cash cow for
| Microsoft and PC makers given the operating system's robust hardware refresh
| requirements.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/206905723

Related and recent:

Angry Vista Users Vent Over SP1 Driver Issues

,----[ Quote ]
| The service pack is being withheld from machines containing one or more of
| the listed drivers, because, as Microsoft put it in a support
| document, "these device drivers are problematic on Windows Vista-based
| computers when you update to Windows Vista SP1."
|
| That made an industry analyst wonder about Microsoft's driver testing
| process. "When Microsoft said there were problems with drivers, I assumed it
| was some odd scanner or camera, or an ancient printer or something," said
| Michael Cherry, analyst with Directions on Microsoft, a Kirkland, Wash.-based
| research firm. "But then I saw the list. It makes me wonder what's going on
| with device driver testing.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143708-pg,1/article.html

Vista SP1: Threat or Menace?

,----[ Quote ]
| The multimillion-dollar question is whether SP1 will be the hoped-for
| catalyst that triggers a widespread migration from XP to Vista. The Service
| Pack may help to allay concerns about code quality, but the perception that
| Vista's benefits simply don't outweigh the risk of the upgrade remains a
| challenge for Microsoft, particularly among business users.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/mcallister_on_software/143695/vista_sp1_threat_or_menace.html
http://tinyurl.com/328vkf

Windows is caught between Mac and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time in ages, the sale of new PCs with Windows as a percentage
| of the PC market is declining sharply. The new winner is the Mac, but, while
| no one does a good job of tracking the still-new, pre-installed Linux desktop
| market, it's also clear that Linux is finally making impressive inroads into
| Windows' once unchallenged market share.
|
| [...]
|
| How Microsoft deals, or fails to deal, with this new challenge will determine
| if Windows continues to be the dominant desktop operating system. Distracted
| by its Yahoo buyout plans, its courtroom failures and its leadership changes,
| Microsoft is in trouble, and that means the other desktop operating systems
| have their best chance ever to knock Windows off the top of the desktop hill.

Windows Vista SP1 Flunks Out At Penn

,----[ Quote ]
| University of Pennsylvania tech staffers are advising faculty and students
| not to upgrade to the new service pack for Microsoft's Windows Vista
| operating system.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;?articleID=206905083

Vista SP1 downloaders bite back