Re: Vista SP2...

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:49:17 +0000
<29434165.Fyafh5DoBY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 26 March 2008 02:20 : \____
>
>> ...will Fix Everything®
>>
>> [quote]
>> 19Tomk91 (21 minutes ago)
>>
>> it will be better when service pack 2 comes out
>> [/quote]
>>
>> Comment from 'Bill Gates says "Vista Sucks"':
>>
>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qIETRCxbw#GU5U2spHI_4
>>
>> The Vole couldn't get it right, even with 6 years and 10 Billion USD.
>> Their first service pack actually makes things /worse/ (incredible but
>> true). And now some Windows monkey is dribbling about SP2???
>>
>> Gah! What will it take to wake up these idiots?
>>
>> I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
>>
>> Here's the only "service pack" that will ever fix Vista:
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com
>
> Despite all my readings I have never came across the term SP2
> the context being Vista (honest!). I think Microsoft will keep
> beating that "Windows 7" drum, but it's vapourware really,
> so it's more likely to elevate people's hopes.

Microsoft is an expert in vaporware, though I don't think
they invented the idea; they merely honed it to a fine art.

To be fair, Linux to many may also be "not ready yet"
(not ready for what?) and therefore vaporware.  Of
course if this stuff's alpha or beta software, it's remarkably
crash-resistant, certainly more so than a certain other
corporation's products.

> It's increasingly important to show people what Microsoft
> promised people back in 2001 (ish) in their vapour-demos
> of Longhorn, due to be released in 2003 (huh?). It's
> {deja vu all over again} with Windows 7.

And it'll probably succeed about as well as Vista
did...with ~10-15% of the market already captured after 1
1/4 years, probably most of it OEM sales but captured
nonetheless.

Compare that to Linux's 6-15% adoption rate after 15+ years
(though one wonders how many XPs and Vistas are dualboots).
Granted, apples and oranges, but Microsoft was able to
sell -- or perhaps foist off -- Vista to a large segment
of the computing public.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }