[News] Emacs Inspired by Big Software Project

Neat features in Eclipse editor

,----[ Quote ]
| From:         Richard Stallman
| Subject:      Neat features in Eclipse editor
| Date:         Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:45:52 -0400
|
| I just got a demo of the Eclipse editor and saw these features
| which we should have in Emacs.
|
| * Having tabs above a window to switch buffers in it.
|
| * "Perspectives" are named persistent window configurations.  We have
| had the window configuration mechanism in GNU Emacs since the
| beginning but we have never developed a good user interface to take
| advantage of them.  Eclipse's user interface seems to be good.
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg02254.html

A lot of software was inspired by Emacs as well. Even Microsoft try to 'steal'
it.

Related:

Chat it up in Emacs with IRC modes

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes it seems like the Emacs editor has features that only
| operating systems have. You can, for instance, run an Internet
| Relay Chat client to chat online right from inside of Emacs.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/166226&from=rss

Emacs 22.1 released

,----[ Quote ]