[News] The Great Importance of Open Standards (Despite Corruptions Against Them)

  • Subject: [News] The Great Importance of Open Standards (Despite Corruptions Against Them)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:17:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I’ve seen the light: GNU/Linux Does Not Matter That Much

| We must put more effort into making people switch to open formats and open
| protocols, than the effort we put into encouraging them to switch to a
| freedom-respectful operating system like GNU/Linux. This is, our goal should
| be that people will get rid of closed formats and protocols before switching
| to a free operating system.
`----

http://gustavonarea.net/blog/posts/ive-seen-the-light-gnulinux-does-not-matter-that-much/

Watch this one again (about Patrick Durusau and 'politics' getting in the way):

Fear! That should work!

| I thanked Mr Cheong, for bringing up this important letter from Mr Patrick
| Durusau. His case just highlights the strange situation we are in today. If
| you know the background history of Mr Durusau, you will understand why he may
| have to write a letter like this.
|
| You see, Mr Durusau is the Editor of ODF, but more importantly he is also the
| Chair of the US Technical Committee V1, which is equivalent to Malaysia's TC4
| here. What is interesting, is that because of this OOXML issue, his committee
| has been stacked. Now it's OK for them in the US to stack their committees
| because that's how their system works, so they grew from a committee of 7
| members before OOXML to 26 members after it started. Fortunately, in
| Malaysia, ISC-G prevented this from happening at TC4.
|
| [...]
|
| So in essence, V1 has been taken over by Microsofties, and Mr Durusau is in a
| tight situation. If he were to be negative towards OOXML, his stacked V1 will
| retaliate and bar the progress of his normal work: work on ODF 1.2.
|
| The best and most logical option for Mr Durusau is of course to "agree" with
| his captors 'demands, and hopefuly they would be merciful later on. So its a
| strange political play which he has to act out.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/fear-that-shoul.html

The US was of course stacked and manipulated. There wasreason for voting that
way

OOXML standardization as a positive process

,----[ Quote ]
| Why should we adopt OOXML as a ISO standard? Reasons unknown as of now. We
| should demand for them loudly enough so that if they ignore it, many proOOXML
| voters would be turned down.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-48601#post-129997

Related:

Think standards are boring? Think again!

,----[ Quote ]
| If we are to believe Wikipedia, the online collaborative encyclopaedia,
| open standards are publicly available and implementable standards.
| By allowing anyone to obtain and use a standard, the latter can
| increase compatibility between various hardware and software components.
|
| What this brand new coalition is after, is to halt the growing trend
| towards the privatisation of technology. It wants to get back to
| the open nature of technology and innovation and ensure that the
| multiplication of proprietary extensions are put aside to the benefit
| of compatible ones.
`----

http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=5042920

File formats: approaching the freedom crossroad

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/file_formats_approaching_the_freedom_crossroad