[News] [Rival] More OOXML Funny Business in Poland, Malaysia

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] More OOXML Funny Business in Poland, Malaysia
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:09:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Poland Fails to Approve OOXML; Chairman Decides Members Can Vote by Email 10
More Days - huh?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is different. There is a report by Borys Musielak of PolishLinux.org
| that Poland met to vote on OOXML on Thursday. Of 45 members of the committee
| eligible to vote, 24 showed up to vote, and it split almost down the middle,
| with 12 for, 10 against and 2 abstaining. This is extraordinary, since Poland
| voted yes in September, despite the technical committee being opposed. I call
| that progress.
|
| But here is the worrying part: when it became clear that there was no
| consensus, and it was not going to be a Yes vote, the chairman "decided to
| allow the missing members to vote by e-mail during the next 10 days".
|
| What to make of a process that keeps reinventing itself as it goes along?

MY-0006 - Percentages

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't exactly know what planet these guys live on, but this response is
| completely unacceptable. "If its desired that a string datatype is
| desired .."? Excuse me, Mr Ecma, but isn't XML just a whole long list of
| strings? What you do with this string "datatype" is to parse it and convert
| it to the "integer and floating-point values" which is how a normal developer
| would proceed! Talk about bad excuse. The dog ate my homework.
|
| This is exactly the type of responses I had to deal with in reading through
| Ecma's "proposed dispositions". The quality was really low, and it didn't
| bode well with the confidence of other more important resolutions.
|
| I mean, for them to delay this as "an appropriate topic for consideration
| during future maintenance of the spec" is truly irresponsible, considering
| HTML solved this 10 years ago! Crazy.
|
| [...]
|
| So to summarise:
|
|    1. Ecma's proposed dispositions are poor in quality
|    2. Resolutions made in the BRM may not address the concerns of NBs who
|    have raised issues
|    3. Ecma is resistant to change which would break Ecma 376
|    4. Resolutions may not have had the time to harmonize amongst themselves
|    (in this case Finland labeling which method is transitive and strict)
|    5. Two ways of doing things in a spec means that two conforming documents
|    may not be compatible
|    6. BRM was too short a time for a thorough review
|    7. OOXML is becoming more of a Frankenstein than it already was
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/my-0006---perce.html

Earlier:

No consensus over OOXML in Poland, yet

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Thursday PKN (Polish Normalization Committee) had a meeting on which it
| was supposed to come up with the decision concerning Polish recommendation
| for ISO/IEC DIS 29500 (OOXML) proposed standard. The common stance has not
| been acheived.
|
| [...]
|
| Yes, we do know a few more details concerning the process and the type of
| dirty politics that took place just before and during the meeting, but we are
| not going to releal it just yet, hoping that the chairman of KT 182 and the
| PKN itself makes a proper decision in the end (which is to abstain from
| voting as there has been no consensus about OOXML in KT).
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/no-consensus-over-ooxml-in-poland-yet/

Related:

ODF Alliance Hails Brazil, India, Italy, and Poland for Recognizing
OpenDocument Format

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), a broad
| cross-section of organizations, academia and industry dedicated
| to improving access to electronic government documents, today
| applauded Brazil's decision to recommend ODF as the government's
| preferred format; India's decision to use ODF at a major state
| government agency; and Italy's decision to recognize ODF as
| national standard.
|
| The Alliance also recognized Poland, too, for demonstrating serious
| interest in adopting ODF in the wake of a national meeting held for
| its government with broad participants from industry and non-profit
| agencies.
`----

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/306120_p.htm

Poland against OOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| Polish Technical Committee no 171 has just voted 80% against the adoption
| OOXML as an ISO standard [PL].
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/poland-against-ooxml/

Polish National Interoperability Framework promotes Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| This basically means that Microsoft’s Office Open XML will not be
| treated as open standard, thus not preferred in Polish e-Government
| services, making OpenDocument Format the office standard of choice.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/polish-national-interoperability-framework-promotes-open-standards/

Poland says "Yes, with comments" to OOXML

http://sciitnews.com/news_4055.html

Poland votes yes on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
`----