[News] Sub-100MB GNU/Linux for Hypervisors, Everyone Well Ahead of Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] Sub-100MB GNU/Linux for Hypervisors, Everyone Well Ahead of Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:05:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Small Post, Tiny Footprint

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu Server Edition JeOS 7.10 is custom tailored for independent
| software shops or anyone else with an itch to build a tiny, tiny virtual
| appliance. Again, the ISO is only 151 MB. (It took me less than a minute to
| pull down the current 99 MB 8.04 beta.)
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/small_post_tiny.html

Partners: Microsoft Still Trailing In Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the hubbub this week around Microsoft's release of what it calls
| a 'feature complete' release candidate of Hyper-V, its virtualization
| hypervisor, some channel partners say it still lacks features necessary
| compete with the likes of VMware and Citrix/Xensource.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/206904928

Yesterday:

Microsoft Fashionably Late to Virtualization Party

,----[ Quote ]
| Hyper-V, originally code-named Viridian, has had its problems. In March of
| 2007, its first beta launch was pushed back from the first half of 2007 to
| the second half, and several features were removed -- including the ability
| to move virtual machines between servers while they are still running and the
| ability to add resources to virtual servers on the fly.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Microsoft-Fashionably-Late-to-Virtualization-Party-62227.html

Related:

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is changing three key features of the hypervisor
| technology to try to stick to its schedule of releasing the
| technology within 180 days of completing its Windows Server
| "Longhorn" operating system, due to be finalized before the
| end of the year.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6182852.html

Microsoft Delays Key Virtualization Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130668-pg,1/article.html