[News] Old Sun Equipment Turned GNU/Linux Gear

Rescuing Collectible Sun Equipment with Debian Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A while back, we bought a Sun Ultra 5 workstation with a winning bid of about
| $20.00 or so. It has a 360 MHz SPARC processor, 128 Meg of RAM, and an eight
| gigabyte harddrive. Most computers from Ebay are sold without operating
| systems, and this machine was no exception. Installing an operating system on
| Sun equipment isn't hard, once you know how to do it.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/index.php/server_training/serv_admin_m/subnets_ipcalc/0/800

Related:

Supporting The Latest and Greatest; Supporting the Oldest and Slowest

,----[ Quote ]
| Kudos to the developers at Vector Linux for scaling down as well as scaling
| up. There’s nothing more friendly to the environment or the budget than
| keeping an old system going rather than building or buying a new one. So long
| as a computer can do what you need it to do it’s not obsolete. I’ll be
| following up my AliXe review with reviews of other lightweight and small
| footprint Linux distributions, including Vector Linux Light when it’s
| released.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/01/supporting_the_latest_and_grea.html

Impossible thing #1: Developing efficient, well engineered free software like
Debian GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/Impossible_thing_1_developing_efficient_free_software_like_gnu_debian