[News] Enhanced Thunderbird-based Software Offers Increased Functionality

  • Subject: [News] Enhanced Thunderbird-based Software Offers Increased Functionality
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:22:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Spicebird: More Open Source Competition For Outlook

,----[ Quote ]
| Developed by Synovel, Spicebird's based on the Thunderbird / Sunbird /
| Mozilla axis of mail and messaging components, and pulls all of these
| functions together into one program. Mail, RSS feeds, calendaring / agendas,
| contacts, task management, and newsfeeds are all under a single roof.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/spicebird_more.html

There are lots of things Thunderbird can do and Outlook cannot. It's all about
extensions. Even the inventor of E-mail uses (formerly Mozilla) Thunderbird.

Quote for the day:

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."

                                                --Nathan Newman

Related:

E-mail inventor: I didn't foresee spam

,----[ Quote ]
| He uses Thunderbird, an e-mail application developed by Mozilla, the company
| which distributes the Firefox web browser, but he also has a Gmail account.
|
| He said he once had to use Outlook – “I didn’t find it particularly
| attractive”, and that for a time he blocked all incoming messages from
| Hotmail, “because they used to carry a lot of viruses – though they’ve
| clamped down on that.”
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3525110.ece

Thunderbird 3.0 to begin ascent next month: what to expect

,----[ Quote ]
| The Thunderbird development community aims to release the first alpha of
| Thunderbird 3 next month. Plans began to take shape yesterday during the very
| first Thunderbird weekly status call meeting, at which developers discussed
| potential features and other issues of relevance.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080305-thunderbird-3-0-to-begin-ascent-next-month-what-to-expect.html

Mozilla opens e-mail subsidiary

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla Foundation Tuesday opened Mozilla Messaging, a new subsidiary
| focused on developing its free, open-source Thunderbird e-mail software.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021908-mozilla-opens-e-mail.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0: New calendar, better search

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird 3.0 is due to ship by the end of the year with a more
| comprehensive search feature and official integration of the Lightning
| calendar add-on, said David Ascher, chief executive of the newly named
| Mozilla Messaging subsidiary. The first alpha release will come sooner,
| though, for those who want to test the software.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9873385-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

E-mail client Thunderbird 3 to take wing

,----[ Quote ]
| David Ascher, head of the now independent spinoff of Mozilla provisionally
| called MailCo, has presented a rough road map for the development of the
| third version of the Thunderbird open source e-mail client. In the current
| quarter, an alpha version is scheduled to be released followed by a beta
| version in the second quarter, Ascher writes in a newsgroup entry.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102637/from/rss09

Mozilla shoots for quick Thunderbird 3.0 alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| "I believe that it's really worthwhile to get a release underway. Testers
| have only had nightlies for quite a while now, and the trunk is already
| notably better than [Thunderbird 2.0] in a number of ways," Mosedale
| continued. "Getting something that we're willing to recommend to a wider
| group of people is a great way to demonstrate real progress."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1167292031&rid=-50

10 Reasons You Should be Using Thunderbird

,----[ Gist ]
| 1. Open Source Add-ons
|
| 2. RSS Management
|
| 3. Unread Folders
|
| 4. Thunderbrowse
|
| 5. The Mozilla Foundation
|
| 6. Subject or Sender Quick Searc
|
| 7. Export Features
|
| 8. Usenet Support
|
| 9. Sort By
|
| 10. Adaptive Junk Mail Filtering
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007/09/10-reasons-you-should-be-using-thunderbird.html

Mozilla spins off development of Thunderbird

,----[ Quote ]
| After lengthy discussions about the further development of its e-mail client
| called Thunderbird, the Mozilla foundation has founded a subsidiary company.
| Equipped with 3 million US dollars in startup capital, the subsidiary that
| will handle Thunderbird will have David Ascher at the helm.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/96145/from/rss09

Three cheers for portable Thunderbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird is the best e-mail program for Windows users, and the portable
| version is the best version of Thunderbird.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9770471-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Mozilla keeps Eudora alive, releases new version based on Thunderbird

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eudora team might have called it quits on commercial aspirations and
| released the product as open source some time ago, but that doesn't mean you
| should get the trash bin out just yet.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/09/03/mozilla-keeps-eudora-alive-releases-new-version-based-on-thunderbird

Giving Microsoft The Bird

,----[ Quote ]
| I used to be the biggest evangelist of Microsoft. All other software was
| inferior.
|
| [...]
|
| I have been a huge Outlook user since the early days of Outlook Express.
|
| [...]
|
| The most immediate thing I?ve noticed is speed. It loads immediately, and
| responds immediately. And that is with all of my Outlook data in-tact! After
| I migrated my data I went to town with the extensions. I?ve listed them all
| below, as I found some really cool ones. My favorites are the Lightning/GCal
| add-on and the QuickFolders.
`----

http://christhis.com/archives/145/giving-microsoft-the-bird

Reviewing Features of Mozilla Thunderbird 2

,----[ Quote ]
| In case it's not obvious, extensions are basically software utility
| add-ons of varying complexity, while themes are user interface styles
| that can somewhat dramatically change the look of the application.
| Mozilla installs a single extension in Thunderbird by default-for
| error reporting-and a single, default user interface theme. I
| find the default Thunderbird theme to be pleasing and in keeping
| with the standard Firefox look and feel.
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/reviewing-features-of-thunderbird-2-reviewing-features-of-mozilla-thunderbird-2/

First look: Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The one e-mail client that seems to still be on the rise is the
| open-source Mozilla Thunderbird, which recently hit Version 2.0.
| While it hasn't changed radically, the new release includes several
| new features, most notably for organizing and finding messages.
| In this review, we'll assess which additions are useful and
| which are fluff.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9018106&source=rss_news50

Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Though it's likely that I'll move back to Outlook full-time at some
| point (I still use it for calendaring, actually), I have to admit
| that I had intended to use Thunderbird for about a month and then
| move on, but it's proven usable and efficient. Thunderbird is an
| excellent and high-quality email solution, and while I'm guessing
| that many of the people who read this site haven't really given it
| a shot, my advice is to do so, especially if you can't get your
| hands on Outlook 2007. Thunderbird is quite a bit better than
| Windows Mail or Outlook Express, and while many Web-based email
| services have improved with Ajax/Web 2.0-based interfaces, users
| who have to manage a lot of email will be better off with a true
| email application.
`----

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/thunderbird2.asp

Thunderbird 2 Flies Ahead, Racing Web Mail

,----[ Quote ]