[News] [Rival] People "Disgusted" by OOXML, Poland to Vote After First Fiasco

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] People "Disgusted" by OOXML, Poland to Vote After First Fiasco
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:04:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Acrimony Reigns at ISO Document Standards Meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| "Eighty percent of the changes weren't discussed," said Frank Farance, an IT
| consultant who led the U.S. delegation to the ballot resolution
| meeting. "It's like if you had a massive software project and 80 percent of
| it wasn't run through [quality assurance]. I've never seen anything like it,
| and I've been doing this for 25 years."
|
| "People here are disgusted," said Andrew Updegrove, a technology attorney and
| an outspoken critic of Open XML who was in Geneva but didn't take part in the
| meeting. "The absurdity of trying to [ratify Open XML] by a 'fast track'
| process became quite apparent."

No consensus over OOXML in Poland, yet

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Thursday PKN (Polish Normalization Committee) had a meeting on which it
| was supposed to come up with the decision concerning Polish recommendation
| for ISO/IEC DIS 29500 (OOXML) proposed standard. The common stance has not
| been acheived.
|
| [...]
|
| Yes, we do know a few more details concerning the process and the type of
| dirty politics that took place just before and during the meeting, but we are
| not going to releal it just yet, hoping that the chairman of KT 182 and the
| PKN itself makes a proper decision in the end (which is to abstain from
| voting as there has been no consensus about OOXML in KT).
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/no-consensus-over-ooxml-in-poland-yet/

Microsoft played 'politics' in Poland (details below).

Quote for the day:

"Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

                                --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

Related:

ODF Alliance Hails Brazil, India, Italy, and Poland for Recognizing
OpenDocument Format

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), a broad
| cross-section of organizations, academia and industry dedicated
| to improving access to electronic government documents, today
| applauded Brazil's decision to recommend ODF as the government's
| preferred format; India's decision to use ODF at a major state
| government agency; and Italy's decision to recognize ODF as
| national standard.
|
| The Alliance also recognized Poland, too, for demonstrating serious
| interest in adopting ODF in the wake of a national meeting held for
| its government with broad participants from industry and non-profit
| agencies.
`----

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/306120_p.htm

Poland against OOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| Polish Technical Committee no 171 has just voted 80% against the adoption
| OOXML as an ISO standard [PL].
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/poland-against-ooxml/

Polish National Interoperability Framework promotes Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| This basically means that Microsoft’s Office Open XML will not be
| treated as open standard, thus not preferred in Polish e-Government
| services, making OpenDocument Format the office standard of choice.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/polish-national-interoperability-framework-promotes-open-standards/

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/08/31/poland-ooxml/

"There was no practical reason to do that and as you remember first [Polish]
comitee rejected MSOOXML with 82% votes against it, but now second comittee
approved MSOOXML without single vote against it!"

Poland says "Yes, with comments" to OOXML

http://sciitnews.com/news_4055.html

Poland votes yes on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
`----