[News] Patent Chaos Sparked by Professor, 30+ Companies Under Attack

  • Subject: [News] Patent Chaos Sparked by Professor, 30+ Companies Under Attack
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:08:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
U.S. trade body to probe Sony on Blu-ray

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. International Trade Commission will launch an investigation into
| Sony and about 30 other companies on possible patent infringements related to
| Blu-ray disc players and other products.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6235128.html

Professor asks trade body to investigate everyone and their mom

,----[ Quote ]
| Columbia University Professor Emeritus Gertrude Neumark Rothschild says 30
| companies are infringing on her patent for laser and light-emitting diodes
| (LEDs). In response, she wants the U.S. government to ban those companies'
| imports to the U.S. that are in violation.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9900659-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Days ago:

SA minister slams software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| In a taped address for the Idlelo 3 conference, Fraser-Moleketi said
| that “open standards are a critical factor in building interoperable systems
| that are important to governments … In South African we have a document - the
| minimum interoperability standards - which includes the use of open document
| format or ODF.”
|
| Fraser-Moleketi pointed out that ODF was adopted as an ISO standard in 2006.
| She said that it was “unfortunate that the leading vendor of proprietary
| office software, which enjoys considerable dominance in the market, chose not
| to participate and support ODF in its products but rather to develop its own
| competing document standard, which is now also awaiting judgement in the ISO
| process.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2304

Related:

Technology’s Hottest Product? Patent Litigation

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wall Street Journal’s Sara Silver takes a look today at Visto Corp., the
| company that last Friday sued Research in Motion for patent infringement. RIM
| returned the favor on Monday, suing Visto on the same grounds.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2006/05/04/technologys-hottest-product-patent-litigation/

More patent money wasted on fighting over where to sue

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2008/03/more-patent-money-wasted-on-fighting.html