[News] At ASUS, Everything Might Run on Top of GNU/Linux (on Chip)

  • Subject: [News] At ASUS, Everything Might Run on Top of GNU/Linux (on Chip)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:54:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SplashTop Adds Virtualization Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Within seconds of turning on the PC you can be in this lightweight Linux
| desktop environment that comes with web applications such as Skype and
| Firefox. As we shared during CES 2008, they also have Pidgin, a DVD player
| (LinDVD), music player (with MP3 support), and a photo viewer on forthcoming
| versions. SplashTop is so great that we named it one of the greatest Linux
| innovations of 2007.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQwMg

Related:

A hands-on look at the Splashtop instant-on Linux environment

,----[ Quote ]
| Splashtop, a nearly instant-on Linux environment stored in the flash memory
| usually reserved for motherboard BIOS. The company previewed an upcoming
| revision to Splashtop at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in January,
| then gave us the chance to take a hands-on look at this intriguing system
| software.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/128004

Preboot environment turns PC into CE

,----[ Quote ]
| DeviceVM demonstrated a Linux-powered PC preboot application environment that
| lets users instantly run several Internet-based applications — including Web
| browsing and Skype messaging — at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas
| last week.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/01/18/preboot-environment-turns-pc-into-ce/

SplashTop Running On Prototype ASUS Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| This next version of DeviceVM's SplashTop ships with Corel's LinDVD, in order
| to provide legal DVD playback capabilities. We had briefly watched a DVD
| inside SplashTop and it had indeed worked, all without ever touching the hard
| drive / primary operating system. In addition, SplashTop has provided their
| own music player with support for MP3 files.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=965&num=1

CES 2008: DeviceVM's Splashtop

,----[ Quote ]
| We caught up with DeviceVM at CES to see what's new with their Splashtop
| embedded Linux environment, which we first saw on the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
| motherboard. As we found out, development has been steady with many new
| features implemented and ready for deployment with notebooks.
`----

http://techgage.com/article/ces_2008_devicevms_splashtop

Embedded Linux goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| DeviceVM, the maker of Splashtop software which features embedded Linux "Fast
| Boot" products like featured in the Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP @n has just
| released the source code to its software under GPL.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/21/asus_p5e3_embedded_linux_goes_open_source/1

SplashTop Source Code Released

,----[ Quote ]
| These patches are for Bootsplash,
| DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking
| driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is
| Linux 2.6.20.11.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=915&num=1

ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wifi-n-quick-boot-linux-to-p5e3-motherboard-267643.php