[News] Freiburg (Germany) City Council Moves to FOSS and ODF

  • Subject: [News] Freiburg (Germany) City Council Moves to FOSS and ODF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 05:20:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred  of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
|
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
|
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

Gradually but steadily, Microsoft appears to be losing Germany.

Yesterday:

Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
| eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
| recommends ODF for text documents.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/germany_upgrades_odf_to_recommended

Recent:

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/german_county_adopts_openoffice_org

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/02/german-penal-institutions-looking-into.html

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

Münchner Oberbürgermeister lehnt ISO-Standardisierung von OOXML ab

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenchner-Oberbuergermeister-lehnt-ISO-Standardisierung-von-OOXML-ab--/meldung/105074

Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php