[News] Video Encoder Software Comes to GNU/Linux, Adobe Gets Obsessed with DRM

  • Subject: [News] Video Encoder Software Comes to GNU/Linux, Adobe Gets Obsessed with DRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:35:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
RockPod 08 Lite now comes in Linux flavour

,----[ Quote ]
| Techlogg.com releases first Linux version of its multi-file video encoder.
`----

http://techlogg.com/content/view/482/35/

Adobe releases DRM tool for Flash video

,----[ Quote ]
| With a price tag of $40,000 per CPU, the tool is aimed at broadcasters and
| site operators that use Flash to serve streaming video.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2212474/adobe-releases-drm-tool-flash

Recent:

Adobe Pushes DRM for Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Adobe, which controls Flash and Flash Video, is trying to change that
| with the introduction of DRM restrictions in version 9 of its Flash Player
| and version 3 of its Flash Media Server software. Instead of an ordinary web
| download, these programs can use a proprietary, secret Adobe protocol to talk
| to each other, encrypting the communication and locking out non-Adobe
| software players and video tools. We imagine that Adobe has no illusions that
| this will stop copyright infringement -- any more than dozens of other DRM
| systems have done so -- but the introduction of encryption does give Adobe
| and its customers a powerful new legal weapon against competitors and
| ordinary users through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
`----

http://www.gnashdev.org/?q=node/51

Nobody likes DRM, including attorneys for Microsoft, Real

,----[ Quote ]
| At this week's Digital Music Forum, lawyers managing digital rights for
| Microsoft's Zune music download site and RealNetworks' Rhapsody said that
| they too believe digital rights management to be more of a headache than an
| asset.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Nobody_likes_DRM_including_attorneys_for_Microsoft_Real/1204236728

Related:

Embarrassed by DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| The point behind all this is, of course, to conceal the very existence of DRM
| from the user..
|
| Ergo, we need to shout about the presence of DRM from the rooftops: the more
| people know about it, the more they will dislike it, as Microsoft well
| understands....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/embarrassed-by-drm.html

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html