[News] SJVN On Oracle's "Paint Job" Linux and Freeloading

The State of Oracle Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle’s Unbreakable Linux is something of an odd-duck in Linux distribution
| circles. While Oracle, the database giant, produces it, under the Oracle
| paint job it’s all RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). In addition, while Oracle
| stands behind its distribution with support, Oracle doesn’t think of itself
| as being in the Linux distribution business.
|
| [...]
|
| When asked directly why Oracle wasn’t in the distribution business, Screven
| explained, “We see ourselves as being in the Linux support business. I think
| there’s an important difference there. I mean, we don’t try to compete by
| creating a differentiated distribution. We don’t try to compel customers to
| subscribe by withholding binaries. You know, anyone on the planet can
| download and use Oracle Enterprise Linux binaries for free. You know, if you
| want support from us, you pay us. But we’re not trying to compete in the
| distribution business.”
`----

http://practical-tech.com/operating-system/the-state-of-oracle-linux/

Recent:

Why does Larry Ellison have a Red Hat fetish?

,----[ Quote ]
| Larry doesn't understand open source. This isn't surprising since the people
| who report to him apparently don't, either (though I don't include Mike Olson
| in that crowd - he's a victim of golden handcuffs :-). Oracle desperately
| wants open source to be "just another tool" that it uses for IT domination.
| It's not. It actually has the opposite effect.
|
| Oracle just can't grok this.
|
| It wants to own the Linux kernel. It can't. It wanted to own JBoss. It
| couldn't. Open source is about controlling through sharing, but Oracle
| doesn't do the "share" thing very well.
|
| And so we'll have to sporadically endure Mr. Ellison's ego pronouncing
| himself god of the Linux world, despite his Linux business being so anemic
| that he won't break out its numbers. If the numbers are so great, report
| them, Mr. Ellison. (Having said this, it's important to note that Oracle
| stopped breaking out revenue by product line many years ago.)
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9817945-16.html?tag=head

Larry Ellison thrashes Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]