[News] NVIDIA Criticises Charity Killer (Intel) and Releases Free Software Driver

  • Subject: [News] NVIDIA Criticises Charity Killer (Intel) and Releases Free Software Driver
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 15:41:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nvidia CEO details his beef with Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Huang has spoken forthrightly in the last few months about Intel. The obvious
| question is why.
|
| "People thought that I had lost some of my patience with Intel recently. The
| fact of the matter is that they're out spouting things that are just not
| true. And I was just correcting that," he said.
|
| "Intel is a big, powerful company," I noted to Huang. "And there aren't many
| people like you in the industry, who are so blunt about Intel."
|
| His reaction: "Because they are Intel. Because they are a monopoly. Because
| they are a market-dominant player. They ought to be held to a higher
| standard. They shouldn't be able to say that other peoples' businesses are
| going to die."
|
| Huang, here, is referring to a statement by an Intel executive who recently
| said current graphics technology (sometimes referred to generally as
| rasterization) will be replaced by another kind of graphics technology
| (sometimes referred to as ray tracing), on which Intel is working.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13924_1-9939430-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

NVIDIA Releases Updated OSS Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| As a late Friday night release, NVIDIA's Aaron Plattner has announced
| xf86-video-nv 2.1.9. Back in March the xf86-video-nv 2.1.8 driver was
| released with initial support for the GeForce 9600GT and today's release
| improves the G80 support as well as fixing some startup bugs, sorting the
| supported devices table, adding an option to allow validation of dual-link
| DVI modes, and a few other minor changes. This announcement can be read on
| the xorg mailing list.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ2OQ

Recent:

OpenTheBlob.com Gets 9,000 Signatures

,----[ Quote ]
| When OpenTheBlob.com started in late February, within one week of its launch
| it already had 5,000 signatures and days later it passed the 6,000 and 7,000
| marks too. This letter was an open letter to NVIDIA looking for more
| information on their open-source strategy. While things have slowed down,
| this past week it crossed the point of having 9,000 signatures!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ0Nw

Confidence In An Open NVIDIA Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| While NVIDIA has yet to publicize their intentions nor have we been able to
| get anyone at NVIDIA to confirm any of this information, something does
| definitely appear to be going on within their Santa Clara offices in regards
| to an improved Linux state. A seasoned industry insider had reaffirmed the
| information this week.
|
| [...]
|
| For more on the current state of open-source and binary Linux graphics
| drivers, check out these articles. If you're inclined to do more, you can
| check out OpenTheBlob.com, which has been talked about before for the open
| letter to NVIDIA and most recently has been emailing NVIDIA AIB/OEM partners
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM5Mw

OpenTheBlob.com - An Open Letter To NVIDIA

,----[ Quote ]
| We the GNU/Linux community and the undersigned, kindly request that you,
| NVIDIA Corporation, increase your efforts in better enabling the open-source
| community to develop free software drivers for your graphics hardware. Your
| major competitors in this market, AMD/ATI and Intel, have not only supported
| the community in open-source driver development efforts but they are now
| openly releasing hardware programming documentation.
`----

http://www.opentheblob.com/nvidia/index.php?signatures=normal

Nvidia CEO goes on Intel rant

,----[ Quote ]
| "We don't typically like to do this. It's just that we've been taking it and
| taking it and taking it. Every single frickin' day. Are you allowed to say
| that word? Every day all over the world. Enough is enough."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9916414-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

200 Million Pages Can't Be Wrong: Intel Sabotaged AMD's Business

,----[ Quote ]
| The legal action filed by AMD against Intel in 2006 got new evidence to
| support AMD's allegations claiming that it had been sabotaged by its
| arch-rival on the processor market. According to the latest information
| emerging from the trial, AMD gathered 200 million pages of documents that say
| Intel paid its partners to ditch AMD.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/200-Million-Pages-Can-039-t-Be-Wrong-Intel-Sabotaged-AMD-039-s-Business-84971.shtml

Related:

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel slashes chip prices, boosting pressure on AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel is slashing the price of some of its processors up to 50 percent, a
| slap in the face to rival Advanced Micro Devices, long known as the low-price
| alternative in the chip market.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1537609838&rid=-50

Merrill: Intel's More Interested In Crushing AMD Than Improving Margins

,----[ Quote ]
| They think that Intel is a lot more interested in reducing AMD to
| its former status than in showing much gross margin improvementt
| his year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070309/29149_id.html?.v=1

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC