[News] Network Shaping (Tiered Web) Could Become Antitrust Violation

U.S. lawmakers introduce new net neutrality bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Two Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives have introduced a bill
| that would subject broadband providers to antitrust violations if they block
| or slow Internet traffic.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/05/08/US-lawmakers-introduce-new-net-neutrality-bill_1.html

Recent:

New Site: The Toll Reads?

,----[ Quote ]
| Net Neutrality refers to free access to the Internet without discrimination
| based upon how often a user accesses the Internet or how much broadband
| capacity they utilize. Advocates for Net Neutrality believe that users are
| entitled to unlimited access in order to preserve current freedoms as well as
| to prevent broadband providers from abusing their power to block applications
| they do not favor or to discriminate between content providers. Critics of
| Net Neutrality and associated legislative proposals believe that Net
| Neutrality rules would reduce incentives to upgrade networks and launch next
| generation network services and, in turn, inhibit the most efficient access
| to the broadband network.
`----

http://www.netneutrality2008.org/About.html

AT&T and Other I.S.P.'s May Be Getting Ready to Filter

,----[ Quote ]
| For the last 15 years, Internet service providers have acted - to use
| an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data
| flow uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.
|
| But I.S.P.'s may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/att-and-other-isps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/index.html

Related:

The Land of "Nothing for free"