[News] Freedom Summer of Code Announced, Google's Summer of Code for Hurd

Announcing Freedom Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| What is the Freedom Summer of Code?
|
| Modeled after the successful Google Summer of Code, the Freedom Summer of
| Code adds a radical social justice twist. We will be working with select tech
| activist organizations to generate interesting ideas as well as help people
| develop several projects over the next three months.
|
| The Freedom Summer of Code aims to advance critical movement technology
| projects and tools that benefit a wide-variety of radical social justice
| organizations and movements; inspire developers to become more interested in
| directly participating in social-justice tech organizations; contributes
| back, for the benefit of all, to the free software world which sustains us
| while simultaneously honoring individual’s labor; increases the social
| ownership and democratic control over information, ideas, technology, and the
| means of communication; empowers organizations and individuals to use
| technology in struggles for liberation. We are developing software that is
| geared specifically to the needs of network organizing and democratic
| collaboration, providing new services that greatly enhance your security and
| privacy.
`----

https://we.riseup.net/fsoc/announcing-freedom-summer-of-code

Google's Summer of Code is Behind Hurd as well

GNU and FSF News for May 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been continued discussion of the GNU Hurd GSoC projects this month.
| One of the subjects covered is the issue of copyright assignments by the
| contributors. Sergiu Ivanov announced the availability of an extension module
| that allows retrieving the uptime of the system and the load averages from
| Python scripts
|
| How you can help: The number of developers working on the Hurd and GNU Mach
| continues to be small and they could use your help. Check in on the #hurd IRC
| channel or the bug-hurd mailing list. There should be no trouble finding
| interesting things to work on.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/975.html

Recent:

Google Summer of Code 2008 Takes 1,125 Developers

`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/04/google-summer-of-code-2008-tak.html