[News] AGPL for Freedom on the Cloud, Skype Still in Court for GPL Violation

Do we need to protect open source from the cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some view this as a simple loophole to be plugged. The GPL was originally
| written very much within the context of Unix programmatic and operating
| system interfaces. Therefore, the reasoning goes, the only reason the GPL
| didn't encompass access via Web services is that there were no Web
| services--at least in anything like their current form--when the GPL was
| created. That the new GPLv3 specifically doesn't address this "loophole"
| either was more a matter of practicality than principle by this view.
|
| And, in fact, one approach to eliminating this loophole is a straightforward
| enough approach. The Affero GPL is a straightforward extension to the GPLv3
| license that essentially expands the definition of distribution to encompass
| the delivery of services over the network.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9939131-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

Tomorrow: Court hearing in Welte vs. Skype GPL case

,----[ Quote ]
| This case is about a GPL violation of Skype, related to their sales of Wifi
| Skype phones based on the Linux operating system kernel.
|
| I'm fighting as part of the gpl-violations.org project in enforcing the GPL
| against Skype since February 2007. Initially Skype didn't respond, we then
| applied for a preliminary injunction. That injunction was granted by the
| court in June 2007, but Skype chose to file an appeals case against it.
`----

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2008/05/07/#20080507-olg_muenchen-skype%20via%20http://www.hackaday.com/2008/05/07/gpl-vs-skype-back-in-court/

Recent:

Skype 2.0 for Linux Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Skype 2.0 for Linux was released yesterday, and brings one of the most
| awaited features by its users: video calls.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skype-2-0-For-Linux-Released-80896.shtml

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
| For all practical purposes, the AGPLv3 is a key advance for everyone involved
| in open source, regardless of if you are a software developer, Internet end
| user or enterprise end user. The AGPLv3 closes the ASP loophole and keeps the
| freedom of open source software alive, in the age of SaaS and hosted
| applications.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/agplv3-keeps-open-source-vibrant-age-saas

Google pays for Affero ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The projects will join around 10 other AGPL-licensed efforts on SourceForge,
| compared to six on Google Code. Before the defections, Google had been
| discouraging other AGPL projects, saying Google Code does not support AGPL.
|
| The dispute between Google and developers who want to use AGPL - a version of
| GPLv3 tailored for use in software as a service - has rumbled on since last
| November, when AGPL was finalized.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/11/google_bans_aero/

Google blocking AGPL in Google Code