Re: Linux Kernel vulnerability bypasses security restrictions

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 08 May 2008 16:40 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
> <a@xxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 8 May 2008 10:13:16 -0400
> <dbdbb$48230a7c$27358@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2008/1451
>>
>> A vulnerability has been identified in Linux Kernel, which could be
>> exploited by attackers to bypass security restrictions. This issue is caused
>> by a race condition in the "fcntl_setlk()" function when handling locks on
>> SMP systems, which could allow a process that belongs to a local
>> unprivileged user to gain re-ordered access to the descriptor table.
>>

> Well, there you have it, Linux is totally worthless,
> move along now back to Windows Vista, nothing to see
> here...move along...
>
> Oops, forgot the gold watch on the chain.  You will move
> back to Windows Vista....after I snap my fingers...

Scott Douglas (pseudonym 'Ezekiel') proves Microsoft's nervousness. Not much to
rave about, so they attack the #1 rival, according to Ballmer (Scott's boss).

All those trolls belong in the Windows advocacy groups, not just in the
killfile. They still take up some bandwidth and CPU cycles.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
Cpu(s): 24.5%us,  3.6%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.4%id,  4.2%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st