[News] No Need to Boot Your Linux PC Ever Again (Corbet Dissects Ksplice)

Ksplice: kernel patches without reboots

,----[ Quote ]
| The kernel developers are generally quite good about responding to security
| problems. Once a vulnerability in the kernel has been found, a patch comes
| out in short order; system administrators can then apply the patch (or get a
| patched kernel from their distributor), reboot the system, and get on with
| life knowing that the vulnerability has been fixed. It is a system which
| works pretty well.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/050608-kslice.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

Linux on the server sees reliability gains

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainstream Linux distributions for servers have caught up substantially with
| Unix in terms of reliability over the past year, while Windows Server 2003
| downtime has risen by nearly 25 percent...
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62040278,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

Related:

Linux provides solid uptime for automated hunting and fishing licenses

,----[ Quote ]
| Even with the challenges, Edwards is completely happy with Linux. "There's no
| question. It's absolutely critical for us to make money. If we're down,
| there's penalties we get assessed by the state governments. We absolutely
| have to be up all the time. For the most part, we make that. We haven't had
| any issues with open source."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121606

Smarts Offers Multi-Station Linux-Based Automation

,----[ Quote ]
| The company says Skylla has been in development for several
| years by engineers and programmers from Smarts and its sister
| company, On Air Digital. The companies have been migrating into
| Linux for several years, and report increased reliability with
| those products. Servers running in Linux have recorded up
| times of more than a year without a reset.
`----

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0108/t.6169.html

Linux versus Windows: OS impact on uptime and speed

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux was ahead of Windows every week by more than 0.5%. For
| your understanding 0.5% downtime means 50 minutes per week, or
| 216 minutes or 3 hours 36 minutes per month.
`----

http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

Shining a LAMP on Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]