[News] [Rival] All Microsoft Zune Buyers Are Assumed to Be "Thieves"

Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like to download the latest episodes of “Heroes” or other NBC shows
| from BitTorrent, maybe you shouldn’t buy a Microsoft Zune to watch them on.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/microsoft-may-build-a-copyright-cop-into-every-zune/index.html?ref=technology

Microsoft also willingly paid a 'pirate tax' for Zune, setting a precedence
that was then used to attack iPod users (details at the bottom). Microsoft and
the MPAA/RIAA are very close (e.g. secret meetings, agreements on DRM in
Vista). Recently they used the MSNBC puppet to pretend that iTunes is bad by
moving to Zune Marketplace. And then there's this:

Digital Rights Management (DRM): is it in its death throws?

,----[ Quote ]
| Many end users, both Windows and GNU/Linux, hate DRM, for both technical and
| political reasons. Hackers too hate it and have consistently broken and
| defeated its security measures. It seems that this is having some effect at
| last. The purveyors of DRM are now beginning finally to realise that there is
| simply no such thing as one hundred per cent security, and that unless you
| don’t actually release the software containing the security feature(s), it
| will always been out in the wild and fair game for hacking. It may be that
| the DRM edifice is crumbling at last. This may be motivated by a recognition
| that it is a futile exercise trying to keep ahead of the hackers or simply a
| realisation that there is perhaps actually more money to be made from freeing
| their software from the encumbrances of DRM. Either way it is good news and
| that will be the subject matter of a future article.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/digital_rights_management_drm_it_its_death_throws

Recent:

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
| far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
| same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
| he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
| with Microsoft.

Lack of Internal Talks at Microsoft, Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe my "Microsoft's Entertainment Domination" theory was a bit
| premature. Apparently, the Zune MP3 player isn't flying off shelves
|                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| and now it turns out that the Zune is incompatible with Microsoft'
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| latest Windows Vista operating system. Amazing how a disconnect like
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| this can occur within an organization. Software start-ups are taking
| advantage of the lowered development costs and the speedy development
| time -- and forcing large software organizations to speed up their
| own development cycles, but in the process, the large organizations
| are fumbling to communicate effectively amongst their departments.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/15/lack-of-internal-talks-at-microsoft-google/

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Industry Moves: Microsoft Appoints New Head of Zune Unit

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Div. President Robbie Bach sent an e-mail
| on Oct. 4 notifying staff of this. Thompson will report to J Allard...he
| worked with Allard on the original Xbox business. Several of the early Xbox
| cohorts are already on the Zune team, the story says and quotes
| Allard: "We're getting the gang back together."

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/071005/1_315471_id.html?.v=1

Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/ballmer_dances/

,----[ Quote ]