[News] 'Open' Standards Process is Broken: By Wealthy for the Wealthy

Standards membership thought experiment

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone can participate or support every standards effort they believe
| has value. There are thousands of efforts but only so many people, hours, and
| money that can be applied.
|
| Let’s say that you had some fixed number that you applied to your standards
| participation. I’m not saying you don’t, but humor me in this experiment.
| Suppose very simply that you could only participate in X standards
| organizations, Y technical committees, or spend Z dollars on membership fees,
| travel, salary, etc., for how you participate.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2262

The Microsoft shills keep trying to attack ODF, without success other than
deliberate stupidity:

Achieving the impossible

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/05/achieving-impossible.html

Related:

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

South Africa, Netherlands and Korea striding toward ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| France is making the strongest move to ODF and its native office suite,
| OpenOffice. Nearly half a million government employees are being switched to
| OpenOffice.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1351236114&rid=-50

ODF Alliance hails record growth in application support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| In total, there are now more than two dozen ODF-supporting text, spreadsheet,
| and presentation applications announced in the past three months
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/26/odf-alliance-hails-record-growth-application-support-for-odf/

ODF a National Standard in Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposal for ODF to be accepted as a Malaysian Standard by SIRIM,
| Department of Standards Malaysia and ultimately the Minister of Science,
| Technology & Innovation is dormant for more than a year now. Four months
| after the Malaysian proposal went to sleep, Italy made ODF a National
| Standard. Eight months after that, Korea has followed suit. With this Korean
| news, perhaps the Malaysian proposal will be awakened.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/11/odf-a-national-.html

Obama Voices Support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenDocument Format supporters are welcoming presidential hopeful Sen. Barack
| Obama's promise to put government data online in universally accessible
| formats should he be elected.ODF a National Standard in Korea

Open IT has arrived: US presidential candidates campaigning for it

,----[ Quote ]
| When U.S. presidential candidates start promoting their open-source and
| open-document platforms, you know that the open-source movement has finally
| arrived.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9820884-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

South Africa adopts ODF as govt standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African government yesterday announced the adoption of OpenDocument
| Format (ODF) as a standard for government communications.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=$id&src=digg

Malaysia formally embraces open doc format

,----[ Quote ]
| The Malaysian government today announced plans to adopt open standards and
| the Open Document Format (ODF) within the country's public sector.
|
| [...]
|
| In July this year, Japan became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region
| to embrace open software standards. Last August, the United Nations urged
| countries in the region to adopt the ODF.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62030781,00.htm

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Netherlands Picks ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Frank Heemskerk, Minister of Economic Affairs, announced today that ODF will
| be the standard for reading, publishing and the exchange of information for
| all governmental organisations. The deadline is January 2009.
`----

http://gotze.eu/2007/09/netherlands-picks-odf.html

Opendocument_adoption

,----[ Quote ]