[News] Analogies for Explaining the Libre Value in GNU/Linux

GNU/Linux: Source Code and Human Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem with explaining FOSS in terms of source code is that, unless
| you're a developer, source code is only the means to an end. As Peter Brown,
| the executive director of the Free Software Foundation, pointed out to me a
| couple of years ago, promoting FOSS in terms of source code is like promoting
| recycling in terms of the technical details of recycling, such as the
| temperature at which certain plastics melt or the chemical processes that
| occur in an operating smelter -- basically, most people don't care.
|
| Instead of talking technicalities, environmentalists talk about what
| recycling can do for you and your community. In other words, they refer
| simultaneously to self-interest and ethics.
|
| If FOSS is ever going to gain a strong foothold outside its own community,
| its advocates need to adopt a similar approach. Outside of their own circles,
| they need to stop talking about being able to change the source code, which
| will only produce stony-faced indifference in the average listener. Instead,
| FOSS supporters need to talk about the advantages that access to the source
| code brings to the average user: The consumer rights and the extension of
| free speech that accessible source helps to promote.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3745266

Related (case of point):

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

Beware of Skype

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2479

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista—Microsoft’s latest operating system—may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.'

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

Can FOSS save your privacy?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, the Bush regime has already claimed "we don't need no steenkin
| warrant" to listen to your phone calls, see what websites you visit,
| scan your emails, and now, with the revelation of a new
| "signing statement", it?s even claiming the authority to read your
| physical mail. When the government becomes the biggest threat to
| your privacy, you better take advantage of the legion of privacy
| advocates creating FOSS to help you retain what little bit of privacy
| you can still have.
|
| [...]
|
| However, just because your privacy is being threatened doesn't mean
| you have to accept it. There is a growing array of FOSS being
| developed to provide us with the ability to control our privacy.
| It's about time we all start using it.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/can_foss_save_your_privacy

Polippix: The Political Linux Distribution of Denmark

,----[ Quote ]
| From what I have been able to determine, PROSA, the Association of
| Computer Professionals, is the group responsible for its development
| and distribution. Their feelings on how privacy is being affected in
| the country of Denmark are rather obvious, and it looks as if they
| are not going to take these concerns lying down.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7822

How NSA access was built into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that
| special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency
| have been secretly built into Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years
| ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a
| few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access
| system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
`----

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows

,----[ Quote ]