[News] Murdock Suggests OpenSolaris and Linux Should Fight Together

Sun juggles love of code with need for cash

,----[ Quote ]
| Mickos, former CEO of MySQL, also pledged to keep the database open source.
| Murdock, the founder of the Debian GNU Linux distro, urged projects outside
| Sun to refrain from attacking Sun's Solaris or NetBeans, insisting they
| should instead focus on the common enemy - closed-source software.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/05/06/sun_open_source/

A Brief History of Sun by Groklaw's grouch - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, I noted that there has been a change in management, and the guy
| who signed that agreement is gone. On the other hand, they still offer
| OpenSolaris as a competing product. On the third hand, no one showed up at
| trial to testify for SCO. So the real question I was asking was, has Sun
| changed? After all, Microsoft talks a lot about openness and such, but they
| fail to convince me that they wouldn't kill and eat my cat if they thought
| there was money in it. Ethics is the real value add to FOSS, you know. It's
| the one thing Microsoft can't embrace, extend and extinguish. The hovering
| doubt in my mind was, did Sun benefit from the SCO assault on Linux? Did they
| intend it? Is it all still playing out as they hoped? Clearly SCO's attack
| failed, but no one predicted that. So, other than that, what exactly is the
| answer to my question?

Sun's OpenSolaris to Shine Through Amazon's Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenSolaris group has added features to make installing and using its
| much easier -- and more like installing and using Linux and the LAMP stack
| for development. For instance, Sun said its LiveCD installation and the new
| network-based OpenSolaris Image Packaging System (IPS) are designed to
| simplify and speed installation and integration with third-party
| applications.

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
| market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
| doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
| maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
| forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
|
| [...]
|
| "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
| revenue significantly."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

Does Microsoft Need Yahoo Before Its Windows Shatter?

,----[ Quote ]
| And what happens if Windows becomes moot? Microsoft loses the foundation of
| its success–your desktop. If we agree that Google is building its empire
| around your web browser, it’s fair to say that Microsoft has built its empire
| around your operating system. If Microsoft Windows takes a huge hit, the
| company loses that solid foundation. But, if Microsoft can acquire Yahoo, it
| will find itself with a back-up platform–your web browser.
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2008/04/does-microsoft-need-yahoo-before-its-windows-shatter.html

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway