Re: [News] Closed Systems Called Dangerous by Net Expert

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 06 May 2008 06:22:11 +0100
<3182816.FI2n75cBoy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 05 May 2008 22:22 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:38:23 +0100
>> <3809891.B3RWdc5cBW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 28 April 2008 19:21 : \____

>>> Wait until people start copyrighting soundbeats, just as
>>> they patent trivial software 'tricks'. Artistic interpretation
>>> and inspiration already make the idea of copying one's music
>>> a borderline thing. Can you measure song similarity?
>>> Sound similarity? Voice imitation? What about humour?
>>>

>> I believe satire is covered under free speech court
>> rulings, but I could see this sort of thing clogging the
>> courts

[snip for brevity]

>> As for beats....I could see that happening, mostly because the
>> fancier keyboards commonly come with a set of beats.  One hopes
>> of course for sanity in this area.
>>
>> [*] C2 is middle C, if I'm not mistaken, in MIDI.  I'd have
>> to look now, though, and instrument variations will change
>> registers.
>
> So we are still left with no solution. This renders
> part of the whole intellectual monopoly wet dream the
> moguls are having a tad obsolete, doesn't it?

Depends on the problem, doesn't it?  Are we:

[1] defending the right for a consumer to use the data file
(which may contain copyrighted works) as he sees fit?

[2] defending the right for a producer to restrict use of
a data file which contain his copyrighted works as *he*
sees fit?

(The latter is covered somewhere in law; I'd have to look.
Of course the law is an ass, and a rather slow, stubborn
one at that; when the law was originally made, electronic
duplication was at best a wet dream of Marconi, if that.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);