[News] Sun Microsystems Releases Its Non-Free GNU/Linux Copy

Sun's 'Project Copy Linux' goes commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| The first supported first version of Sun Microsystems' OpenSolaris, AKA
| Project Indiana, makes its debut today with additional backing from Amazon's
| Elastic Computing Cloud.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/05/open_solaris_commercial_launch/

OpenSolaris: What Ubuntu wants to be when it grows up

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, OpenSolaris is the first and only System V-based UNIX to have been
| released into Open Source. However, it uses the CDDL license, a
| MPL-derivative which is incompatible with the GNU GPLv2 license that Linux
| uses.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8703

That's why Sun will continue to rely on GNU/Linux. To be fair, Sun has given _a
lot_ to Free software, including this brand-new example:

OpenOffice.org builds for Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T)

,----[ Quote ]
| We plan to publish 64 bit Linux OOo installation sets with one of the next
| DEV300 developer snapshots.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_org_builds_for_linux

Recent:

Sun Set to Bring NSA Tech to Solaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in 2004, the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) helped the Linux
| community to build something called SELinux, which brings mandatory access
| control (MAC) policies to the Linux kernel.
|
| Now four years later, Sun is getting the same technology from the NSA to use
| with its Solaris operating system. Sun's OpenSolaris community will work on
| integrating the NSA's Flux Advanced Security Kernel (Flask) architecture,
| which is a form of mandatory access control, for type enforcement. Flask is
| the basis of SELinux.
|
| The Flask enhancements will be added to Sun's Trusted Extensions, which
| provide high-security labeling features to meet regulatory and compliance
| requirements.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3734141/Sun+Set+to+Bring+NSA+Tech+to+Solaris.htm

Linux vs OpenSolaris…Again: The Q&A