[News] Microsoft's Anti-GNU/Linux Smears Hold No Water

An update on the war against Microsoft’s war against Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week I told readers I was asking Microsoft to explain how it can, in
| good conscience and with integrity, put forth case studies like the ones I
| had highlighted. I won’t go over them again here but you can read my take on
| a Video Ezy case study, a HiChina case study and some others. In essence, the
| case studies have no bearing on the Windows vs Linux argument. They were
| abysmal and the headlines and stories had such a remarkable divide that you
| could park the Grand Canyon within it and still have room for the cast of The
| Biggest Loser.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18046/1143/

There are some stories of misconduct behind Microsoft's TCO lie. Examples
below. Another reason for government to embargo Microsoft...

Related:

Ballmer's Remarks Inspire A TCO Trip Down Memory Lane

,----[ Quote ]
| The email surfaced in early 2007, while Microsoft was embroiled in an Iowa
| class-action lawsuit over alleged monopoly-pricing practices. (The company
| settled the lawsuit in February, 2007 for $179 million.) According to the
| email -- part of a slew of subpoenaed documents Microsoft would have
| preferred to keep to itself -- at least one company official argued that it
| would be "easier" not to own up to sponsoring the IDC study.
|
| The Microsoft exec, Kevin Johnson, now the head of Microsoft's Windows
| product team, wrote that he was concerned about competitors turning
| Microsoft's sponsorship of the study to their own advantage. Oddly enough,
| however, Johnson focused on the fact that the IDC study picked Windows as the
| TCO champ in only four out of five outlined business scenarios.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/ballmers_remark.html

PC deal could save public sector billions

,----[ Quote ]
| Suffolk told Gartner, “I think we have fundamentally failed on a worldwide
| basis as an IT industry to understand the cost of what we do. And I roundly
| blame Gartner for this, because you guys are the ones who come up with TCO
| [total cost of ownership] benchmarking. It has become a self-fulfilling
| prophecy.
|
| “So, I go out and I pick boring desktop infrastructure. What price do you
| think the suppliers broadly pitch? You will not be shocked to know that it is
| somewhere around the Gartner TCO benchmark.”
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/03/31/230047/pc-deal-could-save-public-sector-billions.htm

Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-U.K.-government-on-Microsoft-policy/2100-1012_3-6212721.html
http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2