Re: The Big Difference Between Sun and Microsoft

____/ Ramon F Herrera on Sunday 04 May 2008 06:18 : \____

> On May 4, 12:52 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> The Engadget Mobile Interview: Jonathan Schwartz, CEO of Sun
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Unlike Microsoft and others, we actually view the success of the free
>> | software as a good thing, we are enormously pro-GPL, enormously pro free
>> | software, enormously pro the Mozilla license, the BSD license.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/05/02/the-engadget-mobile-intervie...
>>

> If anybody who knows anything about the history of contemporaneous
> technology is asked to identify a single company as responsible for
> open source since its inception, it would have to be Sun.
>
> At Sun the open source type had support all the way to the board room,
> unlike Digital -a company that contributed some stuff, but it was some
> rogue folks, from the Unix side, who had to work on a skunkworks type
> of operation against the wishes and policies.
>
> Then there's the old AT&T, of course. The Unix source was widely
> available early on. I remember when I called from MIT to Berkeley to
> ask for the tape (I was told: "you guys already have it").
>
> IBM has given some nice contributions, such as Athena and Eclipse, but
> they arrived much later.

The remarks from McNealy about SCO come to mind though and open source isn't
Free Software. Still, Sun seems very willing to change. It tries to steal Red
Hat's thunder.

Fetch SPAM quicker than you can type 'crond start'
Swap:  1510068k total,   392344k used,  1117724k free,    80672k cached