Why does Windows make you stuid

  • Subject: Why does Windows make you stuid
  • From: mrbrklyn <spam-killer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 08:17:36 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
 Why does Windows make you stupid?

Jim asks why Windows makes people stupid, saying that users should
somehow know that to change the focus-follows-mouse behaviour they
have to go into the registry, find the Control Panel\Mouse branch of
the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key, add a ActiveWindowTracking key with type
dword and set it to 1. He points out that on Linux-based systems,
these same users quite happily tweak the many files in /etc and in ~/
to similar ends.

Well, Jim, there's a very simple reason why on Linux-based OSes I am
able to fix the problems while on Windows I am not. On Linux, when
faced with a problem, I can go into the source and fix it. If I find,
in the source, that it is already checking an undocumented pref, then
I can simply tweak that. But on Windows, I have no way of fixing the
code, because Microsoft withhold that code from their users.

http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1032455352&count=1