[News] Metallica Defends Disruptive Business Model of Sharing

Metallica Changes Download Tune

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've been observing Radiohead and Trent Reznor and in twenty-seven years or
| however long it takes for the next record, we'll be looking forward to
| everything in terms of possibilities with the Internet." Fans were less than
| sympathetic when the band took a stand for art (and for art money) by suing
| Napster. Fans generally felt Metallica had enough money already and that
| their unrequited love for the band's brand of metal shouldn't be repaid by
| quashing their ability to share it with others.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/04/28/metallica-changes-download-tune

The boxed CD mentality is too outdated for the age of the Internet.

Recent:

Lars Ulrich suggests Metallica could follow Radiohead

| No, he's not endorsing peer-to-peer sites, but there's no mistaking what
| Ulrich meant. The group is considering whether to follow the lead of
| Radiohead and Reznor, leader of the band Nine Inch Nails. Those acts sent
| shock waves throughout the music industry over the past six months by
| distributing albums over the Web. They also offered digital versions of their
| albums for free.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9929031-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Radiohead, 'Juno' blast onto U.S. pop chart

,----[ Quote ]
| Radiohead's “In Rainbows” album topped the U.S. sales chart this week,
| selling 122,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
|
| It arrived in stores in CD format on New Year's Day, nearly three months
| after the artsy British rock group unleashed the album to the Web at a cost
| to be determined by the user -- whatever price fans chose to pay, including
| nothing at all.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/radiohead-juno.html

Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
| latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
| advent of digital music, experts say.
`----

http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-defendant-riaa-abusing-courts-to-shore-up-failing-business-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse