[News] Canadian Bank Gives GNU/Linux Laptops

Canadian bank hands out free Eee PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, it's only the 7-inch, 2GB version, but it still runs Xandros way better
| than this solar calculator we got from our bank.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/01/canadian-bank-hands-out-free-eee-pcs/

Recent:

Security? - Don't Bank on It

,----[ Quote ]
| A useful article here dissecting what's wrong with the latest version of the
| UK Banking code...
|
| [...]
|
| Since GNU/Linux users tend not to run anti-virus programs, and don't use
| traditional firewalls: does that mean they're always liable?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/security-dont-bank-on-it.html

HSBC e-payments system goes titsup (again)

,----[ Quote ]
| Merchants are furious at HSBC UK after the bank's e-payments system fell over
| for an extended period for the second time in less than a fortnight.
|
| [...]
|
| Earlier this week the bank admitted that it has misplaced 370,000 customer
| details, containing in an unencrypted disc that it posted to a reinsurance
| firm a month ago.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/08/hsbc_e_payments_problems/

UK bank details 'for sale for £5'

,----[ Quote ]
| British bank account details are on sale online for as little as £5 in
| so-called cyber-crime supermarkets, a report says.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7335844.stm

New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software

,----[ Quote ]
| The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
| customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
| anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses took
| effect on Monday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/

Related:

Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
| in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
|
| The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
| about the growth in "phishing".

Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros

,----[ Quote ]