[News] The Browser Becomes the 'Operating System', Microsoft & Adobe Try Ruining It

  • Subject: [News] The Browser Becomes the 'Operating System', Microsoft & Adobe Try Ruining It
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 02:54:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Browsers: The OS for SAAS

,----[ Quote ]
| While the current generation of browsers and SAAS applications offers plenty
| of choice but some security concerns, the next generation could turn this on
| its head, providing greater security but less choice. That's because we are
| quickly moving to a type of Web application that will no longer be delivered
| to a general-purpose Web browser but will instead be deployed to something
| dedicated to that specific SAAS application.
|
| This is the world of single-site browsers and rich Internet applications.
|
| In this world, users don't open a Web browser and then use a bookmark or link
| to access their important Web applications. Instead, these Web applications
| are installed and deployed almost as if they were desktop applications. Users
| launch them from their Start menu or desktop, and the SAAS application runs
| in its own single-purpose browser window.
`----

http://etech.eweek.com/content/web_technology/browsers_the_os_for_saas.html

Mozilla Warns of Flash, Silverlight 'Agenda'

,----[ Quote ]
| ZDNet.co.uk is reporting that at the Internet World Conference in London,
| Nitot warned that companies like Adobe and Microsoft might have an agenda
| with their Flash and Silverlight technologies. Even though at the moment
| these technologies are free to download, this might change in the
| future. "But maybe they have an agenda," Nitot said, "they're not here for
| the glory; they're here for the money." He also warns for the dangers of
| these companies withholding products from certain markets. As examples, he
| mentions Internet Explorer for the Mac/UNIX, and Adobe's refusal to provide
| up-to-date binaries of Flash.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19699

Recent:

The Web's unfortunate fetish with the browser

,----[ Quote ]
| I like the way Google does it on my BlackBerry. Can I access Google Maps,
| News, etc. in a browser? Yes. But I like having separate icons for them on my
| BlackBerry. I like to think of them as distinct applications, in other words.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9848794-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The future of enterprise software: Bungee's in the cloud, for the cloud model

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source and SaaS dramatically change the way enterprises consume
| software. But today I heard this taken to the nth degree, with a shift in a
| company's revenue model, as well. Bungee Labs helps enterprises (of any size,
| but with a particular focus on the tens of thousands-strong SMB market) build
| rich Internet applications (RIAs) in the cloud, for the cloud.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9848774-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Related:

SaaS and the packaged software appliance

,----[ Quote ]
| resident and CTO Scott Dietzen (pictured below) told me this week
| the company initially adopted the appliance model because some of
| its smaller customers in the education market didn’t have Linux
| skills in-house. By using a prepackaged appliance, Zimbra
| effectively packages in all its own Linux implementation
| skills so that the customer can just get on with using the application.
|
| [Zimbra president and CTO Scott Dietzen] Zimbra uses
| appliance technology from rPath to do the packaging.
| Because it only packages up the elements of the underlying
| Linux, Apache and mySQL platforms that the Zimbra application
| actually uses,
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/SAAS/?p=346

What the world needs now is Google Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Following Microsoft's inking of agreements with Linux hawkers,
| offering to shield them from lawsuits over the 235 patents it
| reckons versions of Linux infringe, a gathering of open sorcerers
| is assembling at Google HQ to debate what is to be done.

Firm picks Oracle 10g on Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the long haul

,----[ Quote ]
| When it came time for fleet tracking and management software provider Cadec
| Global LLC to rebuild its software as a Software as a Service (SaaS)
| offering, Cadec's chief architect, Heimir Sverrisson, knew it had to be
| deployed on Linux, not Microsoft Windows or a proprietary Unix flavor like
| Sun Microsystems' Solaris or IBM's AIX.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1277719,00.html

Lumen gives open source some SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
| Lumen says it is going after a critical mass of PHP developers --
| over 5 million worldwide -- and burgeoning demand for SaaS; it cites
| an IDC survey, where 15% of SMBs said they?re considering a
| move to SaaS.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/newsletters/linux/2007/0423linux2.html

Is the mainstream ready for SaaS?

,----[ Quote ]
| IT departments need to recognise this and work out what place it holds
| today in their operations and where it will be utilised tomorrow, for
| services hosted inside the company and for those that can/should/should
| not be hosted outside it. The mainstream is more than ready for SaaS.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/26/mainstream_ready_for_saas/

Is Microsoft Office Doomed?

,----[ Quote ]
| Browser-based productivity tools may be the way of the future.
| But today, they're a promising, intriguing, sometimes
| infuriating mixed bag.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127641-page,1/article.html

Microsoft's big nightmare: free online apps

,----[ Quote ]
| A new generation of browsers is about to make Web
| applications better than downloadable desktop software.
|
| [...]
|
| No software will be downloaded to your hard drive, and
| everything is free. You could be working on a document
| on an office computer, hit "Save," go home, and resume
| work. You could be using Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu
| Linux; the application is agnostic, so long as you
| have the latest browser.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/10/01/8387120/index.htm?postversion=2006102307
http://tinyurl.com/y7caq8