Re: [News] Ubuntu Revolt and Novell Revolt Covered in DistroWatch Weekly

On 2008-05-20, Sinister Midget <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-05-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>
>> Hate Ubuntu? It's normal!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The fact that many people dislike the top distribution is not really a
>>| problem. The problem is that many of these folks are extremely vocal on the
>>| Internet to express their opinions. While no intelligent reader will ever
>>| take them seriously, they do give the Linux community a bad name and
>>| discourage potential Linux users from joining us. Can anything be done about
>>| this? Not much, it seems. Until people start reading their own posts and
>>| realise that senseless negativity towards the most popular distribution is
>>| counter-productive, we will have to live with the unfortunate fact that the
>>| top dog will always be the most hated one too - at least in the more immature
>>| and destructive circles on the Internet.
>> `----
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080519#feature
>
> While I don't count myself among them, I've seen a number of detractors
> from Ubuntu and the offspring. However, a lot of those I encounter
> don't seem to fit the mold described above. Rather, most seem to be put
> off by many Ubuntu users treating it as if it was the /only/ linux
> version available.
>
> Have a lightweight older laptop? Many Ubuntu users will recommend
> Ubuntu. Need a server distro? Ubuntu users are often quick to recommend
> Ubuntu. Have a problem with Fedora? Sometimes Ubuntu users will
> recommend changing to Ubuntu to solve it.

...well, Ubuntu does have a number of variants tuned to different
workloads. Ubuntu is a fork of one of the top server distributions.
Everyone pushing Ubuntu is much like people pushing the Debian net
install. Install the base and use apt to quickly work up to the
extra functionality you need with minimal overhead.

> Those are small examples of the types of things I run across. Some
> people view the stock recommendations of Ubuntu users for everybody to
> use Ubuntu as a slap at all of the others. In fact, with some people
> those recommendations appear to be exactly what they're doing.

...well, don't pick a bad example like Fedora.

You could at least point out something like OpenSuse or Centos.

I never directed people towards Mandrake Cooker even when I was using that.

[deletia]

There is bound to be some reaction to whatever is popular just
because it's popular. Something like Linux attracts a lot of
that sort of people as opposed to people that are just genuinely
dissatisfied with other alternatives.

--

	Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good.      |||
                                                                     / | \