[News] Calls for Increased Collaboration Around GNU/Linux Distro Releases

Will Every Linux Distro Soon Look the Same?

,----[ Quote ]
| A flurry of release news this week led to the recurring question: Is Linux
| growing homogenous? If it is, is that such a bad thing? Canonical's Mark
| Shuttleworth played a role, suggesting that perhaps the distros should
| coordinate their release cycles to all hit at the same time.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Will-Every-Linux-Distro-Soon-Look-the-Same-63048.html?welcome=1211286768

Shuttleworth, Seigo Discuss Synchronised Release Cycles

,----[ Quote ]
| Seigo then takes it all quite a few steps further, with an idea that he
| acknowledges is rather radical. "Why doesn't downstream take on producing
| releases? Why not cease waiting for tarballs to be delivered to your doorstep
| and start working on a release engineering service!" Seigo envisions "the
| system integration community" (which would be the distributions, mostly)
| taking care of the releases of the various projects involved. "Instead of
| hoping that upstream does what they want, why don't they rally a bunch of
| cohorts from Novell, Red Hat, Debian, Mandriva, the MacOS and Windows
| communities, Canonical and whomever else wishes to engage and start offering
| a real, serious release process for upstream development to filter into?"
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19760

Discussing free software syncronicity

,----[ Quote ]
| I know this would be a non-trivial investment, but if Mark is truly serious
| about what he suggests this would be a very compelling way to put his
| currency where his mouth is, so to speak. Stop trying to convince the world
| and just start doing it.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/05/discussing-free-software-syncronicity.html

Related:

Distros Don’t Drive Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of press and people focus on Linux distributions when they check out
| what happens in Linux land. This and that distro come in new releases and
| they offer this and that brand new feature. This is also true of the many
| linux podcasts. They give credit to distros for new things that pop up.
`----

http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2007/10/28/distros-dont-drive-development/

Recent:

Seeing Linux clearly: Demystifying KDE and GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| The great thing about Linux is you’re not stuck with one. Choose both; try
| them out. See which one you like. KDE and GNOME need not be confusing,
| mystical, near-apocryphal terms but instead another positive example of how
| Linux gives you many ways of solving any issue. In this case, the issue is
| what should your windows look like and behave like, with the two desktop
| managers both giving their own solution – each offering slick visuals, a
| powerful and rich suite of apps, and both making a great GUI.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18284/1141/1/0/

KDE e.V. and the GNOME Foundation to co-host flagship conferences

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ev.kde.org/announcements/2008-04-22-akademy-guadec.php