[News] [SOT] More Fraudster Executives Exposed

US SEC charges eight ex-AOL Time Warner execs

,----[ Quote ]
| The scheme involved fraudulent transactions in which AOL Time Warner
| effectively funded its own advertising revenue by giving purchasers the money
| to buy online advertising that they did not want or need, the SEC said.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKN1956209120080519

McAfee Anti-fraud Researcher Charged With Fraud

,----[ Quote ]
| Brett Oliphant, whose title had been vice president of security services
| before the Napa, California, company was acquired by McAfee in January, is
| facing 11 counts of securities fraud in transactions that allegedly brought
| in more than US$1.215 million.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146078/mcafee_antifraud_researcher_charged_with_fraud.html

Days ago:

SEC charges Broadcom founder, gen counsel

,----[ Quote ]
| The men schemed from 1998 to 2003 to secretly backdate stock option grants,
| which forced the company to eventually restate its financial results and
| report more than $2 billion in extra compensation expenses, the SEC said in a
| statement.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKN1451854920080515

Recent:

New court date for ex-Microsoft domain buyer

,----[ Quote ]
| A quick scheduling note for anyone tracking the case of Carolyn Gudmundson,
| the former Microsoft domain manager who pleaded guilty to mail fraud after
| she was charged in a complex scheme to steal money from the company:
| Gudmundson's sentencing date, previously set for last Friday, has been pushed
| back to May 16, at the agreement of the lawyers in the case, according to the
| court docket.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/136477.asp?source=rss

200 Million Pages Can't Be Wrong: Intel Sabotaged AMD's Business

,----[ Quote ]
| The legal action filed by AMD against Intel in 2006 got new evidence to
| support AMD's allegations claiming that it had been sabotaged by its
| arch-rival on the processor market. According to the latest information
| emerging from the trial, AMD gathered 200 million pages of documents that say
| Intel paid its partners to ditch AMD.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/200-Million-Pages-Can-039-t-Be-Wrong-Intel-Sabotaged-AMD-039-s-Business-84971.shtml

Related:

McAfee to pay $13.8 million to settle backdating lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee has taken two major steps toward closing the stock-option backdating
| scandal that has plagued the company for the past two years.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071222/tc_infoworld/94209

Why Are the Feds Still Gunning for McAfee's Former GC?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/ihc/PubArticleIHC.jsp?id=1200650739414

McAfee to pay $13.8 million to settle backdating lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee has taken two major steps toward closing the stock-option backdating
| scandal that has plagued the company for the past two years.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071222/tc_infoworld/94209

We’re not thieves. We just can’t read contracts (McAfee and Open Source)

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) spread about Free/Libre
| and Open Source (FLOSS) licenses. While companies dependant on older
| competing business models suggest these licenses are complex or “ambiguous”,
| the reality is quite the opposite.
`----

http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/insights/2008/01/11/we%E2%80%99re-not-thieves-we-just-can%E2%80%99t-read-contracts-mcafee-and-open-source/
http://tinyurl.com/39pjml

McAfee throws some FUD at the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| In its annual report, Windows security software vendor McAfee told its
| investors that open source software licence terms it vaguely characterised
| as " ambiguous" might "result in unanticipated obligations regarding our
| products."
|
| [...]
|
| That statement says several things. First, it reveals that McAfee does use at
| least some open source software derived code in its products. Second, it
| betrays that McAfee has misappropriated that open source software and thus is
| committing copyright infringement, because it doesn't distribute that open
| source software derivative source code. Third, by calling its products that
| include open source software code "proprietary", McAfee shows that it really
| doesn't want to shoulder its GPL licence obligations, but instead wants to
| both have its cake and eat it too.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/05/mcafee-throws-fud-gpl

McAfee's libel against open source