[News] Plat'Home President Explains Why GNU/Linux is Great

Open source in Japan: Q&A with the President of Plat'Home

,----[ Quote ]
|     ...ultimately, I believe the opportunity for Linux expanding into a
|     wide range of devices, including, of course, entertainment devices like
|     set-top boxes, cell phones, and other mobile devices, radically dwarfs
|     the opportunity for broadcast entertainment. Even today, when you search,
|     when you make a phone call, when you do online banking, you're using
|     Linux. And it's only the beginning. I wanted to be a part of that.
|
| Asay: Plat'Home started selling Linux in Japan in 1993. That's really early
| days. Why Linux?
|
|     Suzuki: Linux is powerful, in a lot of ways, especially for what it
|     doesn't do. Let me explain. It's possible to deliver more computing
|     power -- that is, more functionality and more stability -- into a wide
|     range of devices, especially small ones. Its small footprint was very
|     appealing. This was already apparent even from early on. Basically, we
|     saw it as having the potential to get very sophisticated software into
|     the hands of users. No compromises.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9947592-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Another new praise desktop Linux also:

Lenovo Linux-Powered ThinkPad in Action

,----[ Quote ]
| There’s no question in my mind that I made the right laptop purchase for me.
| I believe that anyone who wants a reliable, secure notebook PC will find the
| Linux-powered R61 an excellent choice. Is it the cheapest laptop out there?
| No way. But, for what you get for the money, I don’t think you can beat it.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/lenovo-linux-powered-thinkpad-in-action/

Recent:

OpenMicroServer: Tiny Footprint Linux Server

,----[ Quote ]
| I saw an announcement that the OpenMicroServer (OMS) is now available in the
| U.S. It has been produced in Japan for some time but has just been made
| available domestically. What’s cool about it is that it is small  and can be
| powered from an Ethernet port. It reminded me of the BlackDog USB Server that
| made a splash a couple years back.The little OMS only measures 9” x 4” x 1.3′
| It’s officially supported for Debian (Etch) and NetBSD. Plat’Home also
| maintains their own OS SSD/Linux which is a combination of Linux and BSD
| code. I love little gadgets like these and try to figure out some innovative
| ways to use them.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/03/22/openmicroserver-tiny-footprint-linux-server/#more-225

Related:

Linux on half of all new servers? Red Hat's got plans

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsStory.aspx?story=64797