Re: [News] The Security Advantage of GNU/Linux Over Windows Explained

____/ Homer on Tuesday 20 May 2008 01:14 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Ian Semmel spake thusly:
>
>> Seeing as how most of the software was written in the 1970's (or
>> cloned from software written in the 1970's), this is hardly a major
>> feature.
>
> Really?
>
> What proportion of the two million + lines of code, committed to the
> kernel since 2.6.11, were "written in the 1970's"?
>
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/publications/linuxkerneldevelopment.php
>
> And what proportion of OpenOffice.org's nine million + lines of code was
> "cloned from software written in the 1970's"?
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/build_faq.html
>
> How about the 177,386 Free Software projects hosted on Sourceforge
> (launched in 1999) ... were they all "written in the 1970's" too?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/
>
> Idiot.
>
> Of course you'd know all about "cloning", since Windows has stolen
> virtually every feature it has from Apple since its inception, a proud
> tradition it continues to this day with Vista. It's a pity the Dilberts
> at Microsoft lacked the skill to copy anything other than just MacOSX's
> aesthetics though, which might otherwise have helped elevate Vista's
> position from "dire" to just plain "sucks".

And then you have Mary Jo Foley chiming in to say that suggest that Leopard
copied from Vista. (Yes, she got harshly slammed for it)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took t
he TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

                --Bill Gates, Microsoft

Microsoft 'stole' the idea of windows.

Microsoft 'stole' the idea of a spreadsheet

Microsoft 'stole' the idea of a word processor

Microsoft even 'stole' Sudo and patented it

And so on...

Just making something known to more people doesn't make *you* a trailblazer. It
makes you a crude salesman.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)