Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

Verily I say unto thee, that AZ Nomad spake thusly:

> With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor
> program from the motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of
> a preschool educational toy.  That is if you can find one at all.  At
> last half of the time, one doesn't exist.

My P4 Giga-byte mobo has a thing called EasyTune5 that automatically
crashes every time Windows boots. Running it manually helps, but then it
launches the biggest; chunkiest GUI I've ever seen, that occupies nearly
the whole 1600x1200 screen. Any adjustments to the fan threshold handily
results in an instant reset.

The same system, rebooted into Linux, launches gnome-sensors-applet and
gives me access to all the same sensors ... without crashing; without
taking up the whole screen; and without instantly resetting. It also
shows the nVidia Core and Ambient temps, without me having to launch any
display preferences applet.

The Ferrari Laptop came with /no/ such software for Windows, nor does
any exist AFAIK, but again it all just works under Linux, minus the fan
speed, which cannot be controlled at all using software by either Linux
or Windows.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 02:47:41 up 150 days, 23:23,  6 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.22, 0.32