Re: [News] Benchmark: World's Fastest Modern Web Browser is Free Software

____/ Linonut on Monday 19 May 2008 12:43 : \____

>> Firefox 3.0 RC 1 takes the lead on speed
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| So, how does Firefox 3.0 RC 1 compare? This latest run of tests was run on
>>| the same hardware and software platform as previous tests (to make sure
>>| nothing had changed we re-ran some of the browsers to check that we got the
>>| same results). Also added to the listing were Opera 9.27 and Opera 9.50
>>| Beta 2.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1887
>
> Good thing Microsoft is working on IE 8, as IE 7 stinks, speedwise, in
> this guy's comparison.
>
>> Firefox 3 Memory Usage
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Looking at the graph:
>>|
>>|     * All browsers increase in memory use slightly over time, but the
>>|     Firefox
>>|       3 slope is closer to 0.
>>|     * The peak of Firefox 3 is lower than the terminal size of Firefox 2!
>>|     * The terminal state of Firefox 3 is nearly 140MB smaller than Firefox
>>|     2.
>>|       60% less memory!
>>|     * IE7 doesn?t appear to give any memory back, even after all the
>>|     windows
>>|       are closed!
>>|     * Firefox 3 ends up about 400mb smaller than IE7 at the end of the
>>|     test!
>> `----
>>
>> http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/
>
> I'm glad, because Firefox 2 is one of the slower, bloated Linux apps I'm
> using right now.

Same here, and I have only 256 MB of RAM at home (512 MB at work). I typically
have lots of plugins enabled, which doesn't help.

Firefox is not a Web browser. It's a wonderful toolbox, at least for me
(extensions make it so). Same with Thunderbird and Konqueror (for file
management, FTP, photo management, gallery creation, PDF viewing, KIO slaves
with Kate and whatnot).

The Linux desktop is a wonderful thing, but the problem is that many people
judge it without actually knowing what lies inside (a shallow look teaches
nothing).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
Cpu(s): 24.4%us,  3.6%sy,  1.0%ni, 66.5%id,  4.1%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st