[News] More Bizarre Investments in the Microsoft Fundation [sic]

Gates Foundation reports Washington Mutual stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Chairman Bill Gates
| reported on Thursday that his foundation holds a 3 million share stake in
| Washington Mutual Inc (WM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and has doubled its
| stake in American International Group Inc (AIG.N: Quote, Profile, Research).
|
| [...]
|
| The foundation reported an 800,000 share stake in AutoNation Inc (AN.N:
| Quote, Profile, Research), the No. 1 U.S. auto dealership group. (Reporting
| by Karey Wutkowski)
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1532703120080515

What do they receive in return? Money isn't being passed too arbitrarily.
Microsoft has also been working with some auto groups recently.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates sells 2M shares

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates, the chairman of software company Microsoft Corp., sold 2 million
| shares of common stock, according to Securities and Exchange Commission
| filings Thursday.
`----

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20080516&id=8551618

Recent:

Gates Foundation’s Influence Criticized

,----[ Quote ]
| The chief of malaria for the World Health Organization has complained that
| the growing dominance of malaria research by the Bill and Melinda Gates
| Foundation risks stifling a diversity of views among scientists and wiping
| out the world health agency’s policy-making function.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/science/16malaria.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Related:

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttq0IdULfjg

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlnqnMHQ1c

Spying the Gates Foundation: Diversified Holdings Stay Ahead of Market Weakness

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation made moves in other sectors during Q3, as well, adding shares
| in Caterpillar and Canadian National Railway, while maintaining
| stakes in energy giants Exxon Mobil and BP.
`----       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/071126/1004_id.html?.v=1

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Found

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Gates sold 100,000 Univision shares-SEC filing

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation said it sold its remaining stake in Univision,
| which is in the process of being acquired by private investors,
| for an average of $35.34 per share in open market transactions.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsmlreuters.com:20070105:MTFH49951_2007-01-05_22-11-13_N05298823&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yll88p

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

Bill Gates fund reports 12.8 pct PlanetOut stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates' investment fund Cascade Investment LLC reported in a regulatory
| filing on Friday that its holds a 12.8 percent stake in the common stock of
| online media company PlanetOut Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1331033020070713?rpc=44

More on Troy Wolverton, the Street, and Apple Scandal

,----[ Quote ]
| MediaNews did buy the Mercury News with a loan from Bill Gates' foundation,
| and is in the process of paying back that loan by publishing information
| without much journalistic or technical integrity.
|
| Specifically, I wrote “One might think that the San Jose Mercury News, being
| located in Apple's backyard, would tend to trumpet the company's success. One
| would be wrong... Apple's corporate proximity to San Jose is trumped by the
| Mercury News’ need to publish low cost, highly sensational news to make
| enough money to pay back Bill Gates for the favor of his humanitarian loan.”
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/082663E0-6FD8-4F1D-909F-1BC72833AD02.html

Openwave's unit Musiwave to be acquired by Microsoft for $46 mln

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will also assume the net debt of Musiwave as part of the deal. As
| of Sept. 30, 2007, Musiwave had a net debt of about $4 million.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idESWNAS262220071115?rpc=44

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]