[News] XP Rendered Unbootable and Leads Family to GNU/Linux

Adventures with Ubuntu and XP and the family computer

,----[ Quote ]
| So yes, that means Microsoft in one of their post SP2 updates introduced some
| bug that rendered our computer nearly unbootable, which drove us to Linux
| which was brain dead easy to install. And then when we discovered Linux
| didn't quite fulfill all our needs, they made the migration back to XP as
| painful and full of near hopeless despair as possible.
|
| So thank you Microsoft for driving my family to try Linux because they've
| found they like it, and thank you after that for highlighting exactly why we
| don't want to be hooked on Windows. It's been educational for my family, and
| now ever computer in my house has Linux installed on it and my family is
| interested in learning about it! And I owe it all to Microsoft.
`----

http://www.mindstab.net/wordpress/archives/292

Another migration story:

And this is why I use open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Because the same day I posted on here about having a hard time getting
| Virtualmin to work - see here - I was contacted by one of the project’s lead
| developers (there are two - Joe Cooper and Jamie Cameron) about the fact that
| I wrote about their software and that I should come by the forums to get some
| help directly from him. Where the hell in the world can you get support like
| that? When you call Microsoft for tech support, who do you talk to? Some
| outsourced guy who’s never worked with the code directly ever. You don’t talk
| to Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer. You’re left to the bottom of the food chain.
| Not with open source software. I have a problem and I talk straight with the
| leads. That’s the type of customer service that is lacking in the IT industry
| now. That’s what we all need to do when we put out a product or a project.
| That’s why I’m getting more involved in the development of open source
| software. That’s why you should use it.
|
| [...]
|
| Anyhow. After hearing me talk about Linux all the time and reading some of my
| writings on here he wants me to put Linux onto his machine.
`----

http://johnandjenn.net/2008/05/17/and-this-is-why-i-use-open-source-software/

Both Vista's updates and XP's updates have recently had the tendency to screw
machines and require re-installations. With Vista it's almost a monthly
recurrence (massive patch screwups reported).

Recent:

HP begs AMD PC owners to put XP SP3 on ice

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft confirmed yesterday that it was scurrying to patch the problem
| after hundreds of angry XP customers first grumbled about the sizeable
| cock-up last week.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/16/hp_xp_sp3_amd/

HP Confirms XP SP3 Endless Reboot Snafu, Promises Patch

,----[ Quote ]
| Users impatient with HP's or Microsoft's patch plans can instead download a
| free tool crafted by Johansson that detects and fixed PCs that may be
| susceptible to the endless reboot issue.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146014/hp_confirms_xp_sp3_endless_reboot_snafu_promises_patch.html

P SP3 crashes AMD machines

,----[ Quote ]
| One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the
| processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the
| Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots
| again."
|
| Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is not even
| possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort before setting up a
| repeated forehead/screen interface.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/09/xp-sp3-crashes-amd-machines

Windows XP SP3 Sows Havoc, Users Complain

,----[ Quote ]

`----.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207600950