Re: 23 unread, 91 killed

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 18 May 2008 07:37 : \____

> flyer wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Linonut on Saturday :

>>> The bigger the Linux problem (to Microsoft + ecosystem)
>>> becomes, the more aggressive they'll get. Live with it.
>>> we're winning... most evidence arrives from the
>>> non-English-speaking world.
>>
>> Good point.  They ARE getting a bit frantic, eh?
>
> All it takes is a good come back.  The trolls either slink away,
> or as in the case of DFS, do the Timmy selective snippages to
> remove context and post his comment spam.
>
> Yes, they are getting frantic.
>
> The western world may seem slower, but I look at the positive.
> With the US economy being reduced to 3rd world buying power,
> companies are becoming more cost conscious.  Schools one-by-one
> have been embracing Linux.  Same with businesses.
>
> We will see more and more implementations.  The Eee PC on Linux
> has demonstrated to people that Linux works and works well on
> such hardware.
>
> The attempt to overtake Linux by making a version of XP that runs
> on the OLPC laptop will not be fully successful, I predict.
> Reason is that Linux has many applications that have been ported
> over to the OLPC.  These include elementary school to college
> level software.
>
> Microsoft will have to come up with more than solitaire to fill
> the niche.  Problem I see with embracing Microsoft is that there
> will have to be a major effort to port software to the OLPC.
>
> It is like coming out with the new game box and having to now
> port / develop software applications for it.
>
> Linux definitely has the upper hand.

Ignoring Linux as a force would be nothing less than irrational especially now
that Ballmer merely /continues/ to name it the number one threat. Windows XP
is now almost given away for free, so here we are at the stage where Microsoft
fights libre with gratis and sees sales of Windows and profits falling (as
should be expected).

Whenever the Munchkins ridicule the power and prospects of Linux, think of this
from Microsoft's own mouth:

,----[ Quote ]
| "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
| deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
| Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
| the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
| the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
| and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
| to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
| time."
`----

- --- Microsoft, internal document
http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

Yesterday at the gym I had a long chat with a powerful business person who is
aware of such tactics having managed operations for big org like banks. He'd
argued that for M/DBAs it's a normal techniques that falls under
the "disinformation" umbrella. He's seen worse things.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
Tasks: 159 total,   1 running, 158 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie