[News] Linux is Not Windows, No DRM Either!

This one is funny:

iTunes on the Xandros Eee PC 900, Not Quite a Windows Experience

,----[ Quote ]
| I am a big fan of Xandros on the Eee PC, but I’ve always said it has its
| limitations, especially when it doesn’t give me access to my favorite Windows
| programs. But when my editor told me earlier this week about Wine HQ, I
| nearly freaked. Wine HQ enables a compatibility layer that allows Windows
| programs to run on a Linux OS.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/itunes-on-the-xandros-eee-pc-900-not-quite-a-windows-experience

Complaints about DRM there in iTunes. 'Joys' of DRM forgotten?

Adobe, You Piece Of Shit!

,----[ Quote ]
| How was I able to read the book with Adobe Digital Reader version 1.0, but
| not with 1.5? I could not "authorize" my computer to read the book I paid
| for, so Adobe simply stole from me!
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/05/17/20/29/23-adobe-you-piece-of-shit-

Amazing. Why do people still fall for the Great DRM Scam? Everyone except
Microsoft and Apple seems to be abandoning this gradually. To Apple and
Microsoft it's platform lock-in and to the RIAA a model for renting over and
over and over again. They conspire (yes, they have meetings)
against 'consumers'.

Recent:

What is blocking Vista users from recording NBC shows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some users of Windows Vista Media Center say they were blocked from recording
| the NBC Universal TV shows American Gladiator and Medium on Monday night.
|
| "Restrictions set by the broadcaster and/or originator prohibit recording of
| this program," the error message read.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9943631-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

When DRM detonates your music collection

,----[ Quote ]
| It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
| has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
| DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
| registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
| server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
| new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3898784.ece

Libraries: Eliminate DRM!

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, we took action against the Boston Public Library (BPL) demanding
| that they embargo the use of DRM technology on their collection and create a
| policy that respects the motto that hangs above their door: "free-to-all." To
| send a message to all libraries that they too should respect their patrons'
| freedom, we urge you to sign our open letter.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/Libraries-Eliminate-DRM

Sony BMG releases more DRM-free music

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony BMG, one of the top four recording companies, is releasing more DRM-free
| songs through a partnership with Dada USA, a mobile-entertainment company
| based in Italy.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9943023-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

EA drops draconian DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| EA has 'fessed up and Bioware, maker of Mass Effect, said:"We made this
| decision to ensure we are delivering the best possible experience," although
| we suspect that the standard Securom software now included isn't exactly a
| breeze, either.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/12/ea-drops-draconian-drm

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

DRM and unintended consequences

,----[ Quote ]
| As you might have gathered from the Radiohead article, DRM is essentially
| ineffective.
| Its only successes are in treating legitimate customers like criminals. A
| determined (and competent) security cracker can always find a way to
| circumvent DRM.
|
| [...]
|
| It's all based on ideas like Kerckhoffs' Principle and Shannon's Maxim--a
| rephrasing of the basic concept in Kerckhoffs' Principle that says "The enemy
| knows the system." Ultimately, it all just means that trying to interfere
| with the way people use what they have by keeping its internal workings
| secret is doomed to failure. The common thread is that security cannot be
| bought with attempts to restrict how people might use what you've given them.
|
| Someone who intends to circumvent your security measures will not be stopped
| by the attempt to convince them to ignore what's already in plain view.
`----

http://www.zdnetindia.com/index.php?action=article&prodid=18614&chid=168&Ref=Security

Related:

The Longest Suicide Note in History